ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions on potential ILR lapse and BRP replacement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

thtsejac
Newly Registered

Questions on potential ILR lapse and BRP replacement

Post by thtsejac » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I would like to have your advice on my current situation

I have had ILR since 2012. Due to family matters (looking after elder parents), I have lived mostly in Hong Kong in the past 9 years and I have a full-time job here. Pre-covid, I travel back to the UK at least once every year to ensure my ILR would not lapse as eventually one day I am sure UK will be my permanently residing country. As such, ILR status means a lot to me.

I last left the UK in late Nov 2019. I have been unsuccessful to travel to the UK due to numerous flight cancellations, travel restrictions and quarantine requirements since Aug 2020. This April when my flight to the UK was once again cancelled, I rescheduled my flight to September. Currently HK bans flight carriers departing from the UK to fly passengers into HK, and anyone who has spent more than 2 hours inside the UK in the 21 days preceding to his/her arrival in Hong Kong would need to undergo a 21-day designated hotel quarantine. With the stringent quarantine measures in place, it is impossible for me to travel to the UK considering the quarantine period alone already exceeds the annual entitlement of vacation days in my job :( . The recent increase in the number of new coronavirus cases in the UK, along with the political tension between HK (China) and the UK, gives me close to zero faith on the possibility that these measures would be relaxed by November (when my ILR lapse). The possibilityof losing my ILR status is intensifying and getting real :cry: . I am cautious that UK has concession measure that allows ILR holders who spent more than 2 years outside of the UK due to covid restrictions - the returning resident visa (RRV).

Here are my questions:
(1) Should my ILR lapse: Will my ILR be automatically restored if i am granted RRV ? If not, would I be required to re-apply for the ILR tatus? Have anyone experienced similar situations and managed to obtain the RRV? Any insight on RRV application would be extremely helpful
(2) Today I also discovered that my BRP's expiry date is in Feb 2022. I have read online that BRP replacement cannot be processed outside of the UK. Are there currently any concession measures on BRP replacement such as application overseas , relaxed time constraint in replacing a BRP after it has expired.
(3) Assume that I could travel to the UK for a short while (say a week or so) before Feb 2022 to take photograph and biometric scans at a UKVCAS centre. Would it be possible for me to leave the UK and have the BRP replacement sent to my relative’s UK address (this will be the address used in the BRP replacement application)? If returning to the UK is necessary before grant of BRP, I could use my HK passport for entry as visitor. Lastly is it difficult to secure an biometric appointment soon after an online application (as my duration of stay is so short)?

Many thanks in advance for your kind advice! Any suggestion is welcome.

Jack