ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Return to UK and 180 days absence rule

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

leo55
Mood:

Return to UK and 180 days absence rule

Post by leo55 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:28 pm

Dear all,

My partner is on 10 year FLR FP route. She has already spent more than 6 years in the UK. I’m British Citizen.

We are stuck in Pakistan from last 5 months and wanted to go back. But since Pakistan is on Red list and we need to quarantine in govt approved expensive hotel if we decide to go back now.

Questions

1. Would there be any problem in getting another extension if my partner stays more than 180 days outside the UK?

2. Assuming HO grant the FLR FP extension. Would this 180 days absence rule cause problem at the time ILR application on the basis of long residence?

Need advice please

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Return to UK and 180 days absence rule

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:40 pm

1. There is NO 180 days absence limit for FLR fp visa holders.

2. Long residence ilr has restrictions on absence. If you are absent for 180 days or more, you are not eligible for ilr on form SET LR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

leo55
Mood:

Post by leo55 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:16 am

Thanks for your reply.

Would appreciate if you can provide the best advice.

My partner came to UK in early 2016 as dependent of Entrepreneur applicant.

Applied for Entrepreneur dependent extension application on time and then varied to FLR FP application without breaking any residence gap.

Granted 1st extension in Dec 2019 under 10 years partner route.

What is the best option for her to apply for ILR if she stays outside the UK for more than 180 days?

1. Apply for SET LR in 2026 and provide reasons of staying more than 180 days outside the UK as COVID-19 Situation, flights cancellation and Pakistan being on red list ? Do you think these would be reasonable evidences?

OR

2. Apply for ILR under 10 years partner's route in 2029?

Using option 1 will save her almost 4 years time and money compare to option 2.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:46 pm

leo55 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:16 am
1. Apply for SET LR in 2026 and provide reasons of staying more than 180 days outside the UK as COVID-19 Situation, flights cancellation and Pakistan being on red list ? Do you think these would be reasonable evidences?
Option 1 will likely not save her time.
Long Residence caseworker guidance wrote:(Page 11)
If the applicant has been absent from the UK for more than 6 months in one period or more than 18 months in total, the application should normally be refused. However, it may be appropriate to exercise discretion over excess absences in compelling or compassionate circumstances, for example where the applicant was prevented from returning to the UK through unavoidable circumstances.

This must be decided at senior executive officer (SEO) level with a grant of leave outside the Immigration Rules being the appropriate outcome.
Note the underlined section. Even with compassionate or compelling circumstances, the outcome is not ILR, but Leave Outside The Rules.

Your partner may be better off trying for Option 2.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.