ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning Resident

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shah_pooja

Returning Resident

Post by shah_pooja » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:42 am

Hi

I got my ILR in May 2015 and left UK in Oct 2015.

I have been away for last five years and not visited UK until now. I would like to apply for returning resident visa. I plan to get a job and start working again in London

I do not have a home in UK. Is it easy to get the returning resident visa? And once one gets it, is there a time limit within which one needs to enter UK? Given the virus situation, I don't think I can enter London for next 2-3 months.

Regards

vinny

Re: Returning Resident

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:52 am

I think you need strong ties to the UK. Probably not easy.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:02 pm

shah_pooja wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:42 am
Hi

I got my ILR in May 2015 and left UK in Oct 2015.

I have been away for last five years and not visited UK until now. I would like to apply for returning resident visa. I plan to get a job and start working again in London

I do not have a home in UK. Is it easy to get the returning resident visa? And once one gets it, is there a time limit within which one needs to enter UK? Given the virus situation, I don't think I can enter London for next 2-3 months.

There isno assurance that you would have received it in the time frame you stated above.

Regards

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:35 pm

I see, so it may not be as easy as the website makes it out to be..unless I have strong ties, at the moment not strong ties.. but am thinking to give a try.

Also, the website does say that they process 100% applications within few months.. are we saying that it may take more than 3 months to get the reply?

Is there any validity period for the returning visa? If I get it?

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:47 am

any suggestions please ?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:51 pm

shah_pooja wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:35 pm
Also, the website does say that they process 100% applications within few months.. are we saying that it may take more than 3 months to get the reply?
Few months can mean many things. And yes, applications from abroad, especially for long-term residents, take much longer. For instance, British passports for British children born in the sub-Continent can take six months to a year. So, I would not expect a three month turnabout for a Returning Resident application.
shah_pooja wrote:
We don't have that many Returning Residents reporting their status on these forums, so the best we can do is guess. If we look at spousal visas, the applicant is generally issued a visa to enter the UK within 30 days and then to collect the BRP with that status from a specified post office within another timeframe. So, yes, there will likely be timeframes involved.

What are the strong ties that you have to the UK?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:56 pm

shah_pooja wrote:
Six months.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:44 pm

thank you everyone for the help.

So I see the validity is six months.

I don't have immediate family in UK, have very close friends and first cousin and his family in UK.

shah_pooja

Returning Resident

Post by shah_pooja » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:39 am

hi, i have another question- do we need to submit our passport when applying for the returning resident visa? It is a bit tough to understand whether originals need to be submitted or otherwise.

Also how do I check if I need to submit the TB report?

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:23 am

giving up the passport in covid times would be too risky?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:55 am

You will have to submit your passport.
You will also need a TB certificate as your normal place of residence is India.

As others have stated a returning resident visa is not an easy route. Given the time outside the UK and little in the way of ties to the UK your chances of success are very slim. No harm in trying though.

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:08 am

Thank you. Submitting the passport may be bit tricky in current situations.

I agree, no harm to try, my friend is very optimistic though.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:22 am

No passport - no application.
While I applaud your friends optimism, I would council you to expect a refusal more than a grant. Expect the worst and hope for the best as they say.

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:34 am

thanks.. I do agree, I am taking it with a grain of salt, and not putting all my eggs in one basket.

The thing is I am currently in HK, and if I give my passport and for some reason I have to travel I shall get stuck. More so as my HK visa is until 31 March.. and no cue by when the UK folks will give the decision.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:59 am

Certainly not before your HK visa expires....

shah_pooja

Post by shah_pooja » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:02 am

I see.. I think my friend lives in an eutopia.. where he says I shall get an answer in a month or two.. but he is far away from the reality looks like. Thank you so much.

Maybe I shall reqeust a refund of what I can and then apply from India or once I have a longer HK visa.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:54 pm

Pre COVID your friend may have had a point... at the moment very little is moving at a pace in immigration world

Jammersone
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Jammersone » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:25 am

Hi

Just to give you a litte bit of hope. I applied for a returning resident visa after 18 years and it was granted. It took about 9 days and the process couldnt have been simpler. I applied on 24 Feb 21 and received visa on 5 Mar 21. I dropped off my docs at the TLS contact center at my biometric appointment and they scanned everything in and sent it off to UKVI. They keep the passport locally - so you can cancel at any time and get your passport back if you need to. In my opinion the Uk passport office is awesome and really efficient - although I might be a bit biased considering they gave me my visa ......

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:31 am

Jammersone wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:25 am
Hi

Just to give you a litte bit of hope. I applied for a returning resident visa after 18 years and it was granted.
What strong ties to the UK did you have?

Jammersone
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Jammersone » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:39 pm

I sent my UK Marriage Cert, Daughters UK Birth Cert, NI Card, UK Drivers License, Daughters UK University Acceptance letter, UK Bank Account Statements, sale agreement for a flat that we bought in 1998 and subsequently sold - that was to show that we were settled before we left - and a motivation letter for my extended absence. I had also been back in 2017 for a holiday on a vistors visa and luckily this did not affect the application. My wife and 2 children all hold British Passports - so I guess that was a major factor as well.

ssm1009
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by ssm1009 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:21 am

Jammersone wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:39 pm
I sent my UK Marriage Cert, Daughters UK Birth Cert, NI Card, UK Drivers License, Daughters UK University Acceptance letter, UK Bank Account Statements, sale agreement for a flat that we bought in 1998 and subsequently sold - that was to show that we were settled before we left - and a motivation letter for my extended absence. I had also been back in 2017 for a holiday on a vistors visa and luckily this did not affect the application. My wife and 2 children all hold British Passports - so I guess that was a major factor as well.
Hi,
My wife and daughter are also in similar situation like yours. I am British Citizen, due to my employment, my dependant wife and daughter had to remain outside Uk for last 10 years. Now I am applying for the returning resident based on my citizen ship and their expired ILR. I am supporting using India marriage cert, wife's uk NI card, daughter UK birth cert, my employment in India and now new UK job employment letter, my passport copies with their application.

In addition to this, I want to write motivation letter explaining absence. Would you be able to share your sample?

jc12345
Newly Registered

Post by jc12345 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:43 am

Hi,
I wanted to give everyone some hope as well. I applied for the returning resident visa and was granted it. I lived in the UK for 5 years as a child due to my father's job and obtained an ILR. We moved away from the UK for 26 years, but I recently married a British Citizen. I applied for the returning resident visa and was granted it within 5 days. My strong ties to the UK are through my in-laws who are British Citizens and who live in the UK. I provided my education certificates to show the reason why I could not return to the UK. I thought my application had a very slim chance of getting approved, but my advice to everyone is that even if there is a slim chance, try it as you'll never know! :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:37 pm

Great news!

jitraj
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: Returning Resident ILR lapsed

Post by jitraj » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:34 am

Hi,
My mother (79 year old) overstayed by 2 months (over 2 years) due to Covid in India,
She holds ILR since 2004 and visited UK, stayed between 3 -12 weeks to fulfil condition of presence in UK every 2 years.
Now due to covid and travel restrictions, she couldn't make it in last 2 years and ILR seems lapsed (not expired)
Will she be able to fly UK with same ILR(any questions asked at Airport?) or she needs to apply Returning resident form?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:47 am

If she has been absent for more than 2 years, then 19 forces her to apply for a returning residents visa.