ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

School Admission and creche

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rajesh.capri
Newly Registered

School Admission and creche

Post by rajesh.capri » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:15 am

Hi Everyone,

I plan to come to UK with my 6 year old son as dependent, from India in November 2005. Currently he is studying in Class I or Grade I.

I would like to know if the schools will give him admission when we land there?

Will he get school admission in the same grade?

I also have a younger son aged 3 I wanted know about creche and other facilities where he can be kept will my wife goes to work.

How expensive are these facilities and where can i get reasonable option, I shall be staying in Hounslow area.

Anyone who has idea about these pls reply as this very critical.

Thanx in advance

John

Post by John » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:56 am

Your 6yo son is of compulsory school age and accordingly will need to attend school. Once you know exactly where you will be living you should make contact with local primary schools. Do however accept that whilst the local council have an obligation to ensure your son is educated, you cannot demand he attends a particular school, but your preference would only tend to be denied if your chosen school happened to be full in your son's year.

"Class I or Grade I." You may find that the way classes are defined in the UK is a bit different. School year here from September to August. Year 1? During Year 1 the child will start that school year aged 5 and have their 6th birthday sometime before the year ends in August.

Also, your son's English? It could well be that considerable help will be given in that area, if need be.

Your 3yo? Below statutory school age. There will be facilities available to you. But the cost may shook you! Obviously a calculation to be made is the earnings your wife might achieve compared to matters such as childcare costs.
John

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:47 pm

Hello,

I am currently working in a school in the Hounslow area and I would recommend you start applying as soon as possible, and definitely before you arrive in the country. If you know where you will be living this will be a help as one of the criteria for receiving a school place is the proximity in which you will live to the school. The web address for Hounslow is http://www.hounslow.gov.uk, click on 'S' for schools. All schools have an e-mail where you can write to request a place for your son.

Many schools in London are oversubscribed, the school I am working at has long waiting lists for each year group and we are receiving more requests every day. Many children are currently without a school place, alternative arrangements are made for them to have limited tuition at home - although obviously this is not a good long term solution.

Good Luck!