ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Short-term student visa (11 month route)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

agnetha007

Short-term student visa (11 month route)

Post by agnetha007 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:16 am

Hi,

My girlfriend, who is a non-EU/EEA citizen, would like to apply for the Short-Term Student visa (11 months English language route). The studies would take more than 6 months (hence the 11 month visa). I would provide full sponsorship of the studies. She currently has a valid Standard visitor visa (6 months). At the moment, she has a job in her home country and we are aware that she has to apply outside the UK.

Looking at the case worker documentation (Short-Term Students Guidance by HO), the requirements seem to be quite straightforward, but we would like to get some opinions on these questions:
  • In a case of visitor visa, there is a requirement for strong evidence of ties to the home country. I cannot find any of this in the STS guidance, but do we need to provide any evidence demonstrating her intent to return to the home country after the studies?
  • How would the financial requirements be calculated in this case? Would the requirements be more like for the Tier 4 visas or more like for Standard visitor visa, where enough convincing evidence (more arbitrary) and a cover letter from the sponsor would do?
  • Are there any catches we need to know before applying for the 11 month visa? Does anybody have experience of successfully applying for it?
Thanks!

4uvak

Re: Short-term student visa (11 month route)

Post by 4uvak » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm

This is a student visitor visa, so all requirements for general visitor visa apply. Answers to your questions are here https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa

agnetha007

Re: Short-term student visa (11 month route)

Post by agnetha007 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:40 pm

4uvak wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm
This is a student visitor visa, so all requirements for general visitor visa apply. Answers to your questions are here https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa
I am very much familiar with this information and the public HO documents, but they don't exactly answer my original questions. For example, there is no information about how would it be decided whether the finances are sufficient (and we are talking about nearly 11 months, not a 2 week visit). I think there is quite a lot left for the case worker's discretion, so I am trying to get into their head and better understand how they evaluate certain aspects of the application. We want to make the application rock solid.

I guess we are just overthinking here, but can anybody share their experiences with this visa route? :?