ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sponsoring a 6 month UK Visit Visa to call mother

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

farazmir
Newly Registered

Sponsoring a 6 month UK Visit Visa to call mother

Post by farazmir » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi,

My wife has recently acquired a Tier 2 visa, and I'm her dependent. She has a full-time job and I am about to start a contract role soon.
We'd like to call my wife's mother over for 6 months from March/April during the Spring-Summer time. We'll be financially responsible for her tickets and visa and she'll be staying with us during her stay.

Now, the question is, how much money do we need to show for this and for how long does this money need to be in the bank account, and do we apply from here in the UK or can she apply from India with a copy of our bank statement and other evidences etc.?

Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Sponsoring a 6 month UK Visit Visa to call mother

Post by CR001 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:07 pm

More importantly, what evidence of ties to home country will she submit?

Also, has she ever visited the UK? If not, stating she will stay for 6 months might count against her.

What is the purpose of her visit that it is for 6 months?

She has to apply in India. You cannot apply in the UK for her.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

farazmir
Newly Registered

Post by farazmir » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Q: More importantly, what evidence of ties to home country will she submit?
A: Her two sons stay in India with her - one of them is working in a software company and the other has just finished his studies and is searching for jobs. She also visits her hometown regularly to look after our own house there. All our relatives stay there as well with whom she has deep ties. Apart from these reasons, another reason is that her son intends to marry in the next 1-2 years and as per the Indian custom she will be involved in searching for a prospective bride for him.

Q: Also, has she ever visited the UK? If not, stating she will stay for 6 months might count against her.
A: She has never visited the UK. The reason for a 6 month stay is she is coming here for her only grandson's 3rd birthday before he starts his primary school. She hasn't seen him for 2 years and dearly misses him as she took care of him when he was born. Also the other reason for the 6 month limit is that it is the best time to visit the UK in terms of weather - she is not used to cold climates and very short days that we have here. it will be much colder before March/ April and after September/ October so she doesn't want to stay for more than 6 months.

Q: What is the purpose of her visit that it is for 6 months?
A: As mentioned in the previous answer - her grandson's birthday, the longer summer days etc. where she can explore the areas nearby as well as visits to nearby places. Specifically for 6 months because that is the shortest visit visa available. If there was a 3 month visa she would probably opt for that. Even if it is a longer visa/ multiple entry visa, the longest she can stay is for 6 months on each visit. That is the reason for mentioning the 6 months duration.

- She has to apply in India. You cannot apply in the UK for her.
-- Thank you, will do.

Now, as stated earlier, I would like to know how much monetary evidence is required to be submitted from our side? Is there a particular sum of money to be set aside for a month or so (as we do so for Tier 4 or Tier 2)? What are the other aspects required for the visa application from our side for her to apply visit visa to visit us?

Thank you!

iwolga

Post by iwolga » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:51 pm

Though the visa is normally given for 6 months (and is a multi-entry one), there’s no requirement to spend 6 or even 3 months in the country. It is advisable for the first visit to opt for 2-3 weeks, maybe a month.

It’s first of all easier in terms of sponsorship/money questions. Even if this is not the issue, the normally IO think in a rather pragmatic way: if the person can leave his/her country for 6 months, he/she may as well be staying in UK for good. So basically all family/social ties that you are trying to prove become less of a reason for IO if someone can skip those for half year.