Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Sponsoring My girlfriend in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:55 am
Location: UK

Sponsoring My girlfriend in the UK

Post by c2cam » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:09 pm

im 25, my gf wants me to sponsor her here in the uk. we have been together for 3 years, at the moment she does not live with me.

Things you need to know, my father is on Gov benefits, he gets most of his house mortgage paid for. Im on incapacaty benefits too for depression. Im living with my father right now.

My gf has said that she needs to use my address to prove that she is living with me. Im affraid that by sponsoring her that it might effect me and my fathers benefits. Im not sure what to do, or if I should do this at all in fear that it might effect our benefits, I plan to get off benefits in the next 6 months to a year.

the form is for the unmarried/same sex couples

Please advise, thank you

Member of Standing
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Post by djb123 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Unmarried partner visas are hard to get, and to get them you have to prove that you have been living together for at least the last 2 years in a relationship like a marriage so she stands no chance of getting one legally.

Diamond Member
Posts: 10511
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:46 pm

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:36 pm

Girl seems a bit niave to think the HO won't check her passport/visa to see where she was actually living.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....