ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa to BNO visa to UK citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

geo91
Newly Registered

Spouse visa to BNO visa to UK citizenship

Post by geo91 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi there.

My wife is in the UK on a spousal visa and came in July 2019. Her current spouse visa expires April 2022.

With the BNO visa announcement this January 2021, instead of applying for FMR (M), she intends to switch to this route in April 2022 (cheaper, easier). Yes, she is a current BNO holder.

1. When will she need to make the application? Would it be March or April 2022? I.e how many days/weeks before deadline and will she be able to overstay if Home Office are in process of making a decision?
2. Individuals who stay for five years need to go through another 12 month 'ILR' route before applying for British citizenship. Is this applicable in my wife's case? (switching from spouse to BNO visa)
3. The UK government website does not specify whether spousal visa counts towards the 5 year requirement towards UK citizenship. Can anyone confirm this? (only states student and youth mobility visa does not count)