ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Standard Visitor Visa - Long Distance Relationship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

aidancheb
Newly Registered

Standard Visitor Visa - Long Distance Relationship

Post by aidancheb » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:25 pm

Hi all

I'm a British Citizen in a long distance relationship with a non-EEA partner. We've been together for the last year and a half and we're planning to apply for a Standard Visitor visa so that we can spend some time together early next year. The planned visit is just for 9 days, although we hope to make several similar trips over the duration of the visa. Although we have a long term goal to be together permanently we both have commitments in our own countries at the moment so for the next year or so we just want to see each other as much as possible.

We're planning to apply for a Standard Visitor visa in the next few weeks to meet at the end of January, however we're uncertain about a number of things:

1. How should we answer the question about relationship status? We don't feel that single is applicable, which would only leave Unmarried Partner as an option, and the visa guidance states that you should select this if you consider yourself to be in a relationship. However I know that for an Unmarried Partner visa you must show co-habitation for 2 years, so I don't understand if it's also a requirement for choosing that relationship status.

2. The guidance for a Standard Visitor visa states that if my partner would like to make multiple regular visits we could apply for a Long-Term Standard Visitor visa, however when applying there doesn't seem to be an option to choose that. Is this type of visa no longer available or is there a special way to apply for it? My partner has visited the UK on a Standard Visitor visa previously, if that helps?

3. If we already know that my partner will make several visits during the length of the visa, how should we record that on the application? Although the Standard Visitor visa allows multiple entries to the UK, the application only allows one set of information to be entered about the entry date, exit date and trip costs.

4. Lastly, my partner's first visit to the UK was on a Standard Visitor visa for tourism purposes for 1 month, and during that time we became close. 3 months later (and while the visa was still valid) we met again in the UK for 12 days to spend time with each other while sight-seeing. In the application we are currently completing it asks for the purpose of your most recent visit to the UK. I'm not sure if we should choose Tourism as quoted on the application for the first visa, or if we should choose Other and explain as above that the second visit was to spend time with each other?

Apologies for the long post, but we are so desperate to spend time together that we really want to get everything right! If anyone can provide some advice it would be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Aidan

aidancheb
Newly Registered

Re: Standard Visitor Visa - Long Distance Relationship

Post by aidancheb » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi guys

Just wondered if anyone is able to help with my questions please?

Thanks in advance!

Aidan