ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student and Work

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Student and Work

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:03 pm

Quick question!

Is it possible to lift the no work restriction on a six month visa or must you fill in form FLR(S) for a new one? This is after taking up a full time recognised degree course.

I heard you should only apply for visa extension inside a month of expiry this one has four months left on it.

Thanks

John

Post by John » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:10 pm

You currently have a six-month student visa? Who told you that there is a "no work restriction"?

The fact is that the holders of student visas, of whatever length, are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term-time, and an unlimited number of hours outside term-time.

Your visa? A condition on it mentions work? If so, exactly what is the wording?
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:14 pm

It specifically says:

NO WORK OR RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUNDS

I'd heard about the work thing too, but seems to go against the wording on the visa.

Cheers!

John

Post by John » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:55 pm

Sorry to press you, are those the actual words on the visa?
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:33 pm

Yes, just checked although they are not in uppercase!

Thanks!

John

Post by John » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:31 pm

What type of visa do you have? A student visa? Or a visitor's visa?
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:02 am

It's definately a student visa.

Thanks

John

Post by John » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:04 am

Other comments very welcome here .... but rightly or wrongly ... those conditions on the visa look awfully like those on a Visitor's visa.
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:12 am

You got me checking again now!

It says:

MULT

VISA SHORT TERM STUDENT

No Work or recourse to public funds.

Thanks

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:17 am

I had a student visa for one year from Sep 98 to Sep 99, but this was a 1 yr visa I was granted on arrival, they don't give that out anymore. It reads as following:

"Leave to enter the United Kingdom on condition that the holder maintains and accomodates himself and any dependants without recourse to public funds and does not enter or change employment paid or unpaid without the consent of the Secretary of State for Employment, and does not engage in business or profession without the consent of the Secretary of State for the Home Departement is hereby given for/unit _____ "

I think recently they started stamping student visas & vistor's visas for less than 6 months with the same stamp, which in my carse (1998) read

"Leave to enter for six months: employment and recourse to public funds prohibited".

For a complete list of the passport stamps and what can/can't be done, I suggest you look at:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... tamps.html

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:38 am

Wanderer,

You cannot automatically engage in any work on STS (short term student) visas which are usually issued for 6 months or less. If you engage in work, it must be expressly authorised e.g. work permit.

Student visas issued for longer than 6 month periods can ubdertake work within the designated hours.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:43 am

So to papaphrase, we cannot reomve the restriction even if we are now attending a full time degree course, we must either wait till the visa expires and reapply on form FLR(S) or even apply now using the same form.

Thanks again!

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:49 am

Wanderer,

I believe there is something in the rules which allow entry clearance officers to exercise their discretion and allow STS visa holders to work, your ECO has placed this restriction and you are therefore not allowed to work.

Yes, if your student is extended (if you meet the qualifying criteria), the UK Residence Permit will most likely allow you to work within the allowance given to students (20 hours per week term time and no limit on working hours during vacations).

S

antontony

IDI

Post by antontony » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:02 am

You will likely be allowed to work when you get your extention for the next 12 months.

The ECO are unrelactunt to allow students to work if they apply for short cources, although the decision is descetionary.

Anton