ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ivailo Todorov
Newly Registered

Student Visa

Post by Ivailo Todorov » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:13 am

Hi all,

I am a Bulgarian and I got a student visa recently.
All is all right but there someting that I can not understand.

Does "No recourse to public funds, Work (and other changes) must be authorised" means that I can not work 20 hours per week. If it is may I get permission when I am there or there is no way I can work.

Regards,
Ivailo

John

Post by John » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:36 pm

There are two separate restrictions on your visa :-
  • No recourse to Public Funds
  • Work (and other changes) must be authorised
As regards the second one, there is a general permission for student visa holders to work, but work during term-time is limited to 20 hours per week. So the good news is that you are already authorised to do that amount of work.

Ivailo Todorov
Newly Registered

Student Visa

Post by Ivailo Todorov » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:32 pm

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your response.
I though it is a prohibition, but it seems that this is the restriction all international students have.

Best Regards,
Ivailo

John

Post by John » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:08 pm

Ivailo, that is right, your Student Visa is totally standard. That is, you have exactly the same conditions as other Student Visas.

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:49 am

Actually, no one knows what "must be authorised" means... Authorised by who?! Where?
I know the case where a Nigerian guy applied to work for the Royal Mail. When they looked into his passport they did not know what "must be authorised" means so they have denied him a job and said "go find out what it means then come back. We are not taking any risks".
Also, visa does not state that you are only allowed to work 20 hours during term time. Unless you go into detail of immigration rules you would not know anything about that.
Plenty of students work more and know nothing that they are not meant to work that much. Also there is no way of checking how many hours you work (tax office does not know that) also the term time may vary from place to place.

John

Post by John » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:59 pm

Jeff, leaflet INF5 might prove useful :-

Guidance - Students (INF 5)

You will see that that Government-issued leaflet details the ability of a student to work.

Having said that, I looked on the www.workingintheUK.gov.uk website and failed to find any guidance for employers about the ability of student visa holders to work. Not helpful!

But have a look at :-

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/international-st ... ituk.shtml

Indeed ... print that page ... should help alleviate the fears of potential employers.