Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from student to workpermit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, Zimba, Administrator

Newly Registered
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2002 1:01 am
Location: London

Switching from student to workpermit

Post by aaslam » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:53 pm

Hi everyone, i am student here in uk from sep 2000. I have done postgraduate certificate in IT from Uk University. I have a job offer now and they are ready to apply for my workpermit. Can i switch from student to workpermit or it is must to leave uk and get entry clearence from my home country. I heard that there is a new law from 1st october 2004 but is it implemented or not yet.

I hope someone will give a prompt reply on this.

Diamond Member
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:41 pm
Location: London

Post by MWazir » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:31 am

Yes there were some policy changes that are effective from 1 Oct

Here is the link for in-country switching, have a look at the "switching leaflet" ... ing__.html
Switching into Work Permit Employment
Nationals from non-EEA countries may apply to switch into work permit employment without leaving the UK provided they satisfy the work permits criteria and have existing leave as:
A student and have successfully graduated at a UK higher or further education institute; or
A postgraduate doctor or dentist or trainee general practitioner; or
A student nurse; or
A working holidaymaker who has been in the UK at least twelve months; or
A participant on the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme; or
A Highly Skilled Migrant; or
An Innovator.
Postgraduate doctors, dentists, trainee general practitioners and student nurses may only
switch into work permit employment as a doctor, dentist, general practitioner and nurse
The presumption will be that applications made from non-EEA nationals currently in the UK
in any other capacity will be refused. Therefore, non-EEA nationals in the UK on a Sectors-
Based Scheme permit will no longer be allowed to switch into work permit employment.
Full details are available from the Immigration and Nationality Directorate website within
the Immigration Rules at