ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TB test for those wanting UK visas exceeding 6 months

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:21 am

I was tested for this at Heathrow in 2008. They make you wait for about an hour just to take an x-ray.

If you do choose to get your x-ray done before you leave for the UK, keep the x-ray and the report from the doctor in your cabin baggage and do not check it in with the rest of your luggage. This happened to a girl who packed it in with her luggage and she had to wait there like the rest of us to get the x- ray taken, even though she had a recent x-ray of her

pr200707
Newly Registered

TB referral for wife

Post by pr200707 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Anyone has similar situation where wife has been asked to take TB sputum test prior to getting VISA on dependent basis against ILR?

davidward2k10
Newly Registered

Re: TB test for those wanting UK visas exceeding 6 months

Post by davidward2k10 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:08 pm

John wrote:The UK Government is starting to introduce stricter TB controls. As I understand it the requirement does not affect the whole world but is being introduced selectively in some countries.

The new requirement starts in Thailand as from 1st December :-

REQUIREMENT FOR TUBERCULOSIS TESTING FOR APPLICANTS VISITING THE UK FOR LONGER THAN 6 MONTHS

If anyone else spots a similar requirement in other countries please post details in this topic.

That requirement in Thailand is not too bad for those happening to live in Bangkok or the surrounding district. But as only one place is designated for the whole of Thailand, those living elsewhere will need to make a special trip to Bangkok to deal with the TB issue prior to submitting their visa application.
Hi John,

This was posted years back ago, right? I am from the Philippines and I want to know if we too are affected with this "stricter" TB controls?

John

Post by John » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:40 pm

You are right this topic started years ago. If you click here you will see that the list of countries covered by compulsory testing is currently :-
Testing has started in: Bangladesh, Ghana, Kenya (also accepts applications from residents of Eritrea and Somalia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Uganda (visitor applications) and Tanzania), Pakistan, Sudan, and Thailand (also accepts applications from Cambodia and Laos). Testing is also offered in Phnom Penh, although applicants will need to travel to Thailand to apply for their visa.
davidward2k10, the advertising in your signature has been removed. This board has a strict no advertising policy.
John

moving to uk

TB test at Heathrow

Post by moving to uk » Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 pm

krazydude wrote:I was tested for this at Heathrow in 2008. They make you wait for about an hour just to take an x-ray.

If you do choose to get your x-ray done before you leave for the UK, keep the x-ray and the report from the doctor in your cabin baggage and do not check it in with the rest of your luggage. This happened to a girl who packed it in with her luggage and she had to wait there like the rest of us to get the x- ray taken, even though she had a recent x-ray of her
I could not find a post that dealt with my situation so I am posting my question here:

I am traveling from NYC to Heathrow on May 19. Per my request, my doctor conducted TB skin test and it came out negative (swelling needs to be less than 5mm and mine was 0mm). He flatly refused to conduct an x-ray since there was no need for it. He gave a medical note describing the test and results and his explanation of not conducting the x-ray. Same with my wife.

My questions are:

1. Since we don't have x-ray would we be asked to get one at Heathrow?

2. If I explain my TB test to the immigration officer will it exempt me from getting an x-ray at the airport?

Thanks.

John

Post by John » Tue May 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Coming from the USA, whilst we cannot rule it out totally, I would be amazed if you were sent for a chest xray.
John