ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling with Dual Passports

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ajay8
Newly Registered
Samoa

Traveling with Dual Passports

Post by Ajay8 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi,

I am an EU family member and I have an EU settlement scheme pre-settle status biometric residence card valid until 2024.

Recently, I became a citizen of the Commonwealth of Dominica. This means I am a dual national/citizen (dual passport holder) and this passport does not replace my other first passport or change my nationality. Both countries allow dual citizenship.

I am thinking to travel to Italy for a summer holiday and to visit my wife's family. I want to carry both passports with me if I decided to travel.

I am a bit confused about traveling with dual passports. I am thinking (if I decided to travel) to use my Commonwealth of Dominica passport to visit my wife's family in Italy because this passport allows visa-free travel to Europe. However, when I come back to the UK, I can show my other passport at the UK border because my EU settlement scheme biometric residence card is on it.

Is this the correct process/way to travel with dual passports?

Please share your thoughts and/or experience.

Many thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Traveling with Dual Passports

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:36 pm

This should not be an issue, just remember to present the appropriate passport at the airline check-in and the border controls. If you provide Advance Passenger Information make sure you add the correct passport for each leg. Only risk could be if you loose one or both passports.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ajay8
Newly Registered
Samoa

Re: Traveling with Dual Passports

Post by Ajay8 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks for your response.

If I book a Ryanair flight ticket to Italy, then I will have to book a return ticket to UK (where I live) as well. When I leave Italy, I think I should provide advanced passenger information (API). For API (during check-in in Italy), I think I should be using my Dominican passport because I will have already previously booked a return ticket.

What I want to do is: to provide my API using the Dominican passport but when I reach the UK, I will provide my other passport at the border since the other passport has my EU settlement residence card.

My concern: is when I provide API (Dominican passport) in Italy and then I show my other passport in the UK, then it will show conflict or different information at the border in the UK.

Not sure if what I am thinking is correct. This is the first time I am a dual citizen.

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:36 pm
This should not be an issue, just remember to present the appropriate passport at the airline check-in and the border controls. If you provide Advance Passenger Information make sure you add the correct passport for each leg. Only risk could be if you loose one or both passports.