ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

twes

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

avn1977
Newly Registered

twes

Post by avn1977 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:08 am

Hi

I have been offered a permanent position by a company who are willing to do my work permit as well, only yesterday I found out that the company I am currently working for who got a one year permit actually got me a year long twes permit, which I never even knew ( I never even knew what TWES was until yesterday ). Now it looks like I may not be able to get another permit as the home office says a switch from twes to wp is not possible and that I should spend a year in my home country. Isn't there anyway I could switch to a wp, my potential employer hasnt yet applied for the wp but I have been honest and made them aware of this development. Could you please give me some advice here as this is really distressing .

Thanks

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:35 pm

The Home Office/ Work Permits UK are likely to approve the switch from TWES to WP on a discretionary basis. Get some legal help on this though as it seems the employer may not be familiar with the process given they got a TWES in the 1st place - of course I am assuming you qualified for a standard WP a year ago and there was an error in the initial application.

avn1977
Newly Registered

twes

Post by avn1977 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:00 pm

Well the company that I am currently working for got me here to the UK on a twes, I did not know what twes was at the time and I did not even know I was on a twes until yesterday. I was under the impression that they got me here on a year long permit. Now I have been made 3 permanent job offers by 3 different companies who are willing to get me a work permit but I have been doing a lot of reading about how difficult it is to switch and how it is next to impossible. I for one know that all 3 companies went through the whole recruiting procedure in a way that would certainly enhance my chances to obtain a permit ( all the advertising and interviews and everything involved ), I know if I was on a year long permit I would get a 5 year permit based on these job offers and the companies involved. My concern is that me being on a twes might hamper this transition. Could you please give me some advice on this !!

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:42 pm

It sounds like these are big companies, and quite often, these have law firms/consultancies that work for them on immigration and other issues (I know that big financial services ones do it that way for sure). I would advise you, in addition to what experienced people reply here, to ask your (future) company about contact details of whoever will deal with the WP. If it is indeed a professional law firm, you should explain the situation to them and I'm sure they could advise you quite well on how to approach the issue.

avn1977
Newly Registered

twes problem...please help

Post by avn1977 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:08 pm

kayalami

i am anxiously waiting for your advice on my problem, would be most grateful for your tips..

av

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:47 pm

avn1977 wrote:i am anxiously waiting for your advice on my problem, would be most grateful for your tips..

As I said request your prospective employer to submit the WP application preferably via an experienced immigration lawyer/ registered consultant - the Home Office are likely to exercise discretion and grant approval especially if it is well presented and covers all the grounds pertaining to the resident labour test. In the worst case scenario you can get your TWES extended for another year.

avn1977
Newly Registered

twes

Post by avn1977 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:48 am

Thanks Kayalami. So what you are saying is if the company makes a good application showing how they could not find a candidate from the eu labour pool then a switch maybe possible. I will pass this message on to the company and I think they have done a switch in the past as well if I remember right, so all is not lost, right !!

Thanks

av