ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Tourist Visa Longer Than 6 Months?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

fatbyjhnsn
Newly Registered

UK Tourist Visa Longer Than 6 Months?

Post by fatbyjhnsn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:15 am

I'm a US citizen who is looking to visit in the UK for 2 years. Can I apply for a tourist visa longer than the automatic 6 months? I would be able to prove that I have the money to stay there for that length of time (bank statements) and that I will leave the UK (either with a return ticket or a letter from my employer stating so).

What do you think? Is this possible? Where would I apply for such a visa?

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:37 am

Hi,

I'm afraid to say that what you propose is not possible. As a visitor, you are generally allowed to be in the UK for no more than 6 months in any 12-month period. A few people may dodge this by leaving and returning, thus getting another stamp...but it is not recommended, and can show intent to settle, which is a big no-no as a visitor. Also, you cannot work. You cannot even volunteer. The rules are very clear on this.

As you are aware, visitors from the US are generally given a 6-month stamp when they enter the UK...it is sometimes less. I personally was given a 3-month stamp at one point. There is no guarantee you will even be let in if the IO suspects you might be wanting to stay for longer than you are allowed.

You can apply for a visitor visa before you travel, and these can be valid for varying lengths of time...up to 5 years, I believe is the longest.

HOWEVER, these visas are for multiple entries, and the same rules apply...no more than 6 months in any 12 month period is generally allowed. Here is the information for these visas:

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/article ... 00&a=41122

If you wish to come for a longer period than 6 months, you will need to investigate other means. Have you read up on work permits and highly-skilled migrant visas? Are you a student or a recent graduate? Were either of your parents born in the UK? The Britainusa.com site is a wealth of information.

There are very very few routes for an American to settle in Britain. But it can be done...you just need to find the right visa for your situation.
Fixer of Old Stuff

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:25 pm

I would ask, why would you want to come on holiday for two years? That doesn't make sense- and to me certainly means you are trying something you aren't allowed to do. I cannot see why someone would want to 'visit' a country (especially one that is so small) for so long, without being able to work, study, even use healthcare....and you must work for a nice company if they will give you a two year holiday.

Plus, I don't think you can get an automatic visa for two years if you haven't been to the UK at all, or recently, and even if you did, it isn't for two full years, but six months per year, and if you break it, it'll be cancelled.

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:37 pm

sakura wrote:I would ask, why would you want to come on holiday for two years? That doesn't make sense- and to me certainly means you are trying something you aren't allowed to do. I cannot see why someone would want to 'visit' a country (especially one that is so small) for so long, without being able to work, study, even use healthcare....and you must work for a nice company if they will give you a two year holiday.
This is a very good point! Who do you work for, and are they hiring? :wink:
Fixer of Old Stuff

fatbyjhnsn
Newly Registered

Post by fatbyjhnsn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone! Here's the situation:

My American girlfriend was accepted to the Royal Academy in London in a grad program. I would like to join her in London for the two years of her studies. I have the money to do it, so it really would be an extended visit.

From my research it seems highly unlikely I would get an extended tourist visa, even though I have the money to stay and I could provide a letter of intent from an employer back in the US that I would return to a job after two years.

I don't qualify for the HSMP (not enough points I'm afraid), but I am a recent graduate...does that make a difference?

It seems the only option would be to find a job in London, though that seems like a tough route. Am I right in my assessment?

kairos

Post by kairos » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:34 pm

The spouse of somebody on a Student Visa is allowed to join them in the UK provided they can provide evidence of sufficient funds to support themselves. This may also extend to unmarried partnerships; if you've lived together in the States for more than 2 years, you would qualify to enter the UK as the unmarried partner of somebody on an Ancestory or Work Visa. I'm not sure but the same thing may be true for Student Visas too.

fatbyjhnsn
Newly Registered

Post by fatbyjhnsn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:58 pm

Yeah...we don't qualify. Not married and haven't lived together. Thanks though...

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:40 am

fatbyjhnsn wrote:Yeah...we don't qualify. Not married and haven't lived together. Thanks though...
Get married? You only live once.

You could then accompany her, and work with absolutely no restrictions.
Fixer of Old Stuff

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:56 am

Yes, everyone should get married just to avoid immigration issues....

The best thing for you to do is forget about the 2 year tourist visa, that is an utter waste of 24 months. Why not study (for bachelor's, master's, mphil, whatever your level) in the UK, which gives you at least 12 months here (and London has loads of universities to choose from, if you're worried about fees), and you can work part-time if you like? There is a new visa category for people who have studied in the UK (at degree level, which gives you leave for another 12 months- so that makes up two years.

Or you can get married for the sake of entering the UK...

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:33 am

sakura wrote:Yes, everyone should get married just to avoid immigration issues....
I'm not suggesting he gets married for the sole purpose of dealing with immigration. He wants to join this woman for 2 years, unpaid, in a foreign country, while she pursues a degree. To me, that indicates this is a serious relationship, with serious commitment already.

Many many people have gotten married far earlier than they would have to satisfy immigration requirements. I am one of them, and I personally know many others. For a relationship that is already serious and committed, I believe it is sometimes necessary to just jump in with both feet. You DO only live once, and better to take a chance on something than regret it forever.

Your suggestion of following a course of studies is a very good one. But for someone who has already done the student thing, and have no wish to return, it isn't necessarily an option.
Fixer of Old Stuff

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:28 am

So you're looking to atrophy for two years just to be near your girlfriend!? I'm stunned at the indulgence and profligacy. If you have so much of cash why don't you buy a business/investment based ILR?
the only option would be to find a job in London, though that seems like a tough route
Working for a living is tough but somehow I have difficulty mustering any sympathy for your situation.