ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"UK Visit" Visa For My Mum - Irrespective Of Criminal Conviction ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

IM345
Newly Registered
Nigeria

"UK Visit" Visa For My Mum - Irrespective Of Criminal Conviction ?

Post by IM345 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:52 am

Hi,

I have a conviction for a minor sexual assault offence. It was in February, 2019 & it was for a non-custodial sentence…. The sentence was a community service order for 18 months, some rehabilitation work & registering on the sex offenders register for 7 years.

I completed the community service & rehabilitation work on time & without any issue.

However, I got a caution in May this year; because I forgot to renew my registration on the sex offenders’ register. I thought cos of CoVID-19, the Public Protection Unit would contact me & I wouldn’t have to go in to register. The previous the registration was done over the phone.

However, the caution won’t appear on a basic DBS check.

In addition, I got a speeding ticket 2 weeks ago (1st driving offence in the UK). I was driving at 56mph in a 40mph zone.

There has been no response from the traffic department of the Police yet. But, I will most likely get 3 points on my license & mostly likely a fine too.

My sister (who is based in the UK too) is about to apply for my Mum’s visit visa.

On the form she was asked for all her siblings in the UK. She added my name & my Nigerian passport number as well.

Please, in addition, my Mum & sister (nor any family member) has any criminal conviction whatsoever.

Please, I would highly appreciate it if anyone can confirm if my Mum can be denied a visit visa because of the criminal conviction, caution & speeding ticket ?

If the answer is “yes”, please, is it possible to add a letter to the visa application to advise the Home Office against this (if there are legal precedents where people in a similar situation as I had their relations granted the visa) ?

Many Thanks..

manci
Respected Guru

Re: "UK Visit" Visa For My Mum - Irrespective Of Criminal Conviction ?

Post by manci » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:55 pm

IM345 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:52 am
My sister (who is based in the UK too) is about to apply for my Mum’s visit visa.
On the form she was asked for all her siblings in the UK. She added my name & my Nigerian passport number as well.
Only your Mum can apply for her visit visa but your sister can of course help with formfilling and can be her sponsor.

When making a decision on your Mum's visit visa application the primary concern of the HO will be to ensure that she returns to Nigeria after visiting the UK. For this they'll need evidence of her circumstances in Nigeria.

Your brushes with the law in the UK are immaterial in this regard. Even if you were in prison your Mum' may wish to come to the UK to visit you and provided she satisfied the visitor requirements she would get a visa.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

IM345
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: "UK Visit" Visa For My Mum - Irrespective Of Criminal Conviction ?

Post by IM345 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:39 am

Hi Manci,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

I really appreciate it..

Many thanks once again..