ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK WP says that salary is too low

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

knigh7

UK WP says that salary is too low

Post by knigh7 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:57 pm

Hi,

I’m on a holidaymaker visa, the company applied for a workpermit for me, but they sent them a letter back with more information regarding the salary, the current salary is £20k and they said its too low. The position is in IT and requires 2 years experience. What the employer did is to go on various jobs websites and sent them five similary positions with the same rate.

Has anyone had this problem?
What is the possibility of acceptance?

Regards,
Knigh7

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:45 am

that is strange,

i know people were getting work permits sorted out for salaries as low as 18K back in 2000, perhaps they have changed the laws now.

basis

Post by basis » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:53 pm

I agree with Roger Square

By the way Roger Sq. your reply has got posted twice. Could you please remove one of them please.

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:06 pm

I cannot recall seeing a minimum salary threshold for WP applications, I think it depends on the market rates being offered for the relevant position. It is strange that WP (UK) have not accepted the other evidence of similar positions with similar salaries.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:14 pm

i dont understand why they are saying that 20K is not good enough, perhaps if your employer can state that there have been people in the past.

before the visa process was eased(pre august 2000), visa for a friend of mine was granted, the salary was between 20K-22K. the company PA consultancy pushed for his visa, i think if the company is pushy enough, and is a bit of heavy weight, then they can force the visa process through.

basis, i think i will change my user id to simply roger :)

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:13 pm

I do remember, when my employer applied for WP extension with change in designation as Senior Technical Architect in payscale £40k, homeoffice rangup the employer and asked to change the designation to lower level.

Reason stated was salary scale was not matching with designation

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:11 pm

I clearly remember (this was about 5 years ago) my friend's work permit getting refused because the salary was 18K. So it is something they look for since once you the permit, the dependents can come over etc.

Not sure about the exact law but thats my experience.

knigh7

Post by knigh7 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:47 am

thanks for the replys,

basically they sent them a few similar jobs postings on internet job sites with similar salary and i got it :D :D :D :D :D :D

thanks

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:11 pm

Knigh7,

Good to hear about the successful application. So it all depended on what I had thought:
I cannot recall seeing a minimum salary threshold for WP applications, I think it depends on the market rates being offered for the relevant position. It is strange that WP (UK) have not accepted the other evidence of similar positions with similar salaries.
In other words, there is no prescribed minimum income threshold for work permits, it would depend on market rates for the position that the work permit is sought for.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:54 pm

Well done! Congratulations. R.