ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit visa for Dad

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Visit visa for Dad

Post by tier21419 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:54 pm

Hello,
I am planning to apply for my dad's visa. A bit of history;
He was granted visit visas twice some time ago; the first was 6 months and the second was 2 years (this one was refused at first but we won an appeal at that time).
the last time he visited UK was in 2013.

Things and circumstances have changed. He had a business at that time and a good bank balance.
Now he is living with my younger brother. My dad owns the house and gets rent for one portion of the house (around 70,000PKR).
That's the only income he has. I send money every month. He does not have much in his bank account either. I am planning to apply for his visit visa but wondering what chances he has got.

Obviously, we will show that he has a house in his name and gets rent (even though converting in GBP, the rent is not a lot).
I can show that I send him money every month. My mother will stay in Pakistan and he will have his younger son and his children back home as well. Will these be enough to prove strong back-home ties?

As mentioned he does not have much in his bank account, I will be attaching my bank statement and will mention that I will be sponsoring his visit (stay, flights, etc)

What do you recommend regarding this scenario and in case I am missing any documents/things?

Many thanks

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Visit visa for Dad

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:33 am

tier21419 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:54 pm
Hello,
He was granted visit visas twice some time ago; the first was 6 months and the second was 2 years (this one was refused at first but we won an appeal at that time).

Things and circumstances have changed. He had a business at that time and a good bank balance.
Now he is living with my younger brother. My dad owns the house and gets rent for one portion of the house (around 70,000PKR).
That's the only income he has. I send money every month. He does not have much in his bank account either. I am planning to apply for his visit visa but wondering what chances he has got.

Obviously, we will show that he has a house in his name and gets rent (even though converting in GBP, the rent is not a lot).
I can show that I send him money every month. My mother will stay in Pakistan and he will have his younger son and his children back home as well. Will these be enough to prove strong back-home ties?

As mentioned he does not have much in his bank account, I will be attaching my bank statement and will mention that I will be sponsoring his visit (stay, flights, etc)

What do you recommend regarding this scenario and in case I am missing any documents/things?

Many thanks
Your dad has been here twice before. That helps. It being almost 10 years ago, reduces the efficacy, but it doesn't negate it.
You can fully sponsor him. Add your payslips and bank statements (6 months) and add his personal documents. State all that in your letter of invite.
Sate where you work, designation and that of your spouse.

Always nice to know that sponsoring him wouldn't leave you out of pocket.

You've applied 2ce before, use the same modus operandi as previous applications. I'm sure he should be fine.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:08 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:33 am
tier21419 wrote:
Hello,

Many thanks
Your dad has been here twice before. That helps. It being almost 10 years ago, reduces the efficacy, but it doesn't negate it.
You can fully sponsor him. Add your payslips and bank statements (6 months) and add his personal documents. State all that in your letter of invite.

You've applied 2ce before, use the same modus operandi as previous applications. I'm sure he should be fine.
Many thanks for your reply. I am only worried that he does not have much in his bank account and will that cause any issues (because most of the rejections are based on that, saying that it is the applicant who has to demonstrate that he/she has enough funds for the travel). What do you think?
Also, I will be showing the money that I send him every month as well, hopefully, that won't impact negatively.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:24 pm

tier21419 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:08 pm
Ticktack wrote:
tier21419 wrote:
Hello,

Many thanks

Many thanks for your reply. I am only worried that he does not have much in his bank account and will that cause any issues (because most of the rejections are based on that, saying that it is the applicant who has to demonstrate that he/she has enough funds for the travel). What do you think?
Also, I will be showing the money that I send him every month as well, hopefully, that won't impact negatively.
There are instances where applicants don't have much or nothing at all in account however with sincere depictions of circumstances ( and maybe motherluck) visa got granted not just once but repeatedly.
The change in circumstances understandable, previous UK travel history as noted earlier is a plus. Use other evidence to show strong ties to home country and hopefully your ability to shoulder all the cost levels the ground.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:32 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:24 pm
tier21419 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:08 pm
Ticktack wrote:
tier21419 wrote:
Hello,

Many thanks

There are instances where applicants don't have much or nothing at all in account however with sincere depictions of circumstances ( and maybe motherluck) visa got granted not just once but repeatedly.
The change in circumstances understandable, previous UK travel history as noted earlier is a plus. Use other evidence to show strong ties to home country and hopefully your ability to shoulder all the cost levels the ground.
Many thanks. So I am preparing the following documents. please let me know what do you think;

From my side;
  • Payslips (6 months)
    bank statement (6 months)
    Invitation letter
    Tenancy agreement for my house
    Receipt of money that I send to him every month (6 months)
From my dad's side:
  • Bank statement (even though there are not many funds in there).
  • Family certificate (showing my brother and his family (who live with my dad)
  • Contract with Dad's house tenant
  • papers for his house
  • ID card of my brother and mother to show they live with my Dad to show ties)
Questions:
  1. Are these enough, Is anything missing?
  • My tenancy agreement has end date in the past (like in 2020) and they sent an email asking if I want to keep it as a rolling contract and I said yes. Will this be an issue if I provide that tenancy agreement?
  • The house is a 3-bed house (and we have 3 kids), will that be a problem?
  • The forms ask how much my dad is willing to spend on his trip. Can I say 0? and then write a note that I am paying for the trip?
Many thanks

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:06 pm

State in your letter of invitation that you're fully sponsoring your dad's visa application. Also state that you're fully employed by X and your spouse is fully employed by Y.

Don't leave the amount planning to spend blank, add like £50 -£100. I'm sure he can afford that.

Documents look OK, and previous visa should work in his favour. Maybe apply for a 2 years visa. Mitigate the risks.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:48 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:06 pm
State in your letter of invitation that you're fully sponsoring your dad's visa application. Also state that you're fully employed by X and your spouse is fully employed by Y.

Don't leave the amount planning to spend blank, add like £50 -£100. I'm sure he can afford that.

Documents look OK, and previous visa should work in his favour. Maybe apply for a 2 years visa. Mitigate the risks.
Many thanks for your kind reply.
Any idea about the tenancy agreement and accommodation?
the reason for not applying for 2 years is that it is been a while since he had a UK visa, so I am planning to apply for 6 months (rather than losing more money on 2 years visa). he will visit and then leave, and then I will apply for 2 years.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:17 pm

tier21419 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:48 pm
Ticktack wrote:

the reason for not applying for 2 years is that it is been a while since he had a UK visa, so I am planning to apply for 6 months (rather than losing more money on 2 years visa). he will visit and then leave, and then I will apply for 2 years.
You don't need to add anything about your housing arrangements. Your dad is coming to visit, not to live with you permanently.
Any utility bill would suffice.

Smart move to start slowly with the 6 months. But I personally think he'd get 2 years.
Just my opinion though! Good luck.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:35 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:17 pm
tier21419 wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

You don't need to add anything about your housing arrangements. Your dad is coming to visit, not to live with you permanently.

Smart move to start slowly with the 6 months. But I personally think he'd get 2 years.
Many thanks for answering the question.
I really hope the ECO will think the same way as you and grant my dad at least 6 months visa :)

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:48 pm

Ticktack wrote:
tier21419 wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

I have a few more questions (I hope you would not mind :) )

1) In the occupation field, shall we enter retired or self-employed for him? As he does not do any job but has recently started renting one portion of the house.
2) if we enter self-employed, he does not have any tax returns or payments. will that be OK?
3) the rent for the whole year, make up as £2300, will that be an issue? as I send him the money and will add those receipts as well.
4) can the current account be considered as a saving account? as there is a question asking if he has any savings etc.
5) how much should I enter that I am paying toward his visit? He will be here for 1 month.
6) what shall I add as his dependents (just my mother?) My brother and his family live with my dad but I don't want to add them as his dependents as ECO will look at the money available and argue about how my dad supports them.

Many thanks

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:33 pm

tier21419 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:48 pm
Ticktack wrote:
tier21419 wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

1) In the occupation field, shall we enter retired or self-employed for him? As he does not do any job but has recently started renting one portion of the house. Retired is fine.
2) if we enter self-employed, he does not have any tax returns or payments. will that be OK?
3) the rent for the whole year, make up as £2300, will that be an issue? as I send him the money and will add those receipts as well. Nope.
4) can the current account be considered as a saving account? as there is a question asking if he has any savings etc. Same thing, provided it isn't a business account.
5) how much should I enter that I am paying toward his visit? He will be here for 1 month. look at his flight cost and work with that.
6) what shall I add as his dependents (just my mother?) My brother and his family live with my dad but I don't want to add them as his dependents as ECO will look at the money available and argue about how my dad supports them. Just your mum, your brother is a grown man and can support himself and his nuclear family.

Many thanks

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:03 am

Ticktack wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:33 pm
tier21419 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:48 pm
Ticktack wrote:
tier21419 wrote:
Ticktack wrote:

1) In the occupation field, shall we enter retired or self-employed for him? As he does not do any job but has recently started renting one portion of the house. Retired is fine.
3) the rent for the whole year, make up as £2300, will that be an issue? as I send him the money and will add those receipts as well. Nope.
4) can the current account be considered as a saving account? as there is a question asking if he has any savings etc. Same thing, provided it isn't a business account.
5) how much should I enter that I am paying toward his visit? He will be here for 1 month. look at his flight cost and work with that.
6) what shall I add as his dependents (just my mother?) My brother and his family live with my dad but I don't want to add them as his dependents as ECO will look at the money available and argue about how my dad supports them. Just your mum, your brother is a grown man and can support himself and his nuclear family.

Many thanks
Another question (sorry!), what if I dont include/submit his bank statements and just mention that he will spend 200-300 pounds on this trip?
and I submit my bank statements along with mentioning that I will support everything.
Will it have a negative impact if I don't submit his bank statements?
thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:04 am

Ticktack wrote:

Read the above earlier post.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:05 am

Another question (sorry!), what if I dont include/submit his bank statements and just mention that he will spend 200-300 pounds on this trip?
and I submit my bank statements along with mentioning that I will support everything.
thanks

Even with you sponsoring fully, the applicant's bank statements is still required especially since its already established he has.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:28 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:05 am
thanks

Even with you sponsoring fully, the applicant's bank statements is still required especially since its already established he has.
thanks for answering. Will ECO scrutinise my dad's bank statement even if I am paying for everything?
My dad recently submit around 1000 gbp (equivalent) into his bank account. So I was wondering if this will become an issue?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:45 pm

tier21419 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:28 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
thanks

thanks for answering. Will ECO scrutinise my dad's bank statement even if I am paying for everything?
My dad recently submit around 1000 gbp (equivalent) into his bank account. So I was wondering if this will become an issue?
The ECO has an obligation to look at every document submitted. If your dad has multiple accounts, then let him use another account stead of the account with recent huge deposit . But if he has a solid paper trail to explain where this money has come from, then he can still use it.
Don't forget that your dad's documents are the primary document. Yours are just support/secondary.

Yours comes into play where he lacks something. Example, he has nowhere to stay in the UK, you.
He has no reason to come to the UK, you.
He has no money to sustain him with feeding and general upkeep whilst he's in the UK. You guessed correctly again, you!

If his documents don't look good, and there are unexplained funds in his account. Then I'm afraid, it could have an effect on his application.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:01 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:45 pm
tier21419 wrote:
AmazonianX wrote:
thanks

The ECO has an obligation to look at every document submitted. If your dad has multiple accounts, then let him use another account stead of the account with recent huge deposit . But if he has a solid paper trail to explain where this money has come from, then he can still use it.
Don't forget that your dad's documents are the primary document. Yours are just support/secondary.

Yours comes into play where he lacks something. Example, he has nowhere to stay in the UK, you.
He has no money to sustain him with feeding and general upkeep whilst he's in the UK. You guessed correctly again, you!

If his documents don't look good, and there are unexplained funds in his account. Then I'm afraid, it could have an effect on his application.
thank you for replying. The reason I have got is, I send him money every month -- around 500 pounds (he receives the amount in cash and I will provide the receipts), he does not spend most of it, and after a couple of months, etc. he makes deposits into his account.
He will write this in his cover letter, I hope this will be OK for ECO.

What do you think?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:05 am

tier21419 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:01 pm
Ticktack wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:45 pm
tier21419 wrote:
AmazonianX wrote:
thanks

thank you for replying. The reason I have got is, I send him money every month -- around 500 pounds (he receives the amount in cash and I will provide the receipts), he does not spend most of it, and after a couple of months, etc. he makes deposits into his account.
He will write this in his cover letter, I hope this will be OK for ECO.

What do you think?
While we can say opinion, decision ultimately lies with HO personnel I.e. CW, ECO based on their understanding. The more paper trail evidence available the better. In above you gave provided paper trail of sending.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:24 am

Try to keep regular bank transactions every month, more importantly income.

If he doesn't receive any salary but income from other sources, it's better to receive or deposit that money (or part of it) in a bank account at around the same date monthly, mimicking having a salary. Then provide appropriate evidence (documents) for those transactions.

If you see other posts the key thing with these applications is how well organised and presented the application and evidence are, the amount of money is also weighed but not the only factor.

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:26 am

Many thanks for your replies.
Another question, my dad last visit visa in 2013 was refused initially but then we won the appeal and the visa was granted.
I believe this will not be considered as visa refused as it was granted later on. Am I correct in saying this?
There is a question whether any visa was refused previously and I have said no.
Many thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:29 pm

tier21419 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:26 am
Another question, my dad last visit visa in 2013 was refused initially but then we won the appeal and the visa was granted.
I believe this will not be considered as visa refused no, it is still visa refused as it was granted later on. Am I correct in saying this?
There is a question whether any visa was refused previously and I have said no. Your response will be Yes and in further information or cover letter you will explain that refusal was overturned at appeal and visa granted.
Many thanks

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:39 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:29 pm
tier21419 wrote:
I believe this will not be considered as visa refused no, it is still visa refused as it was granted later on. Am I correct in saying this?
There is a question whether any visa was refused previously and I have said no. Your response will be Yes and in further information or cover letter you will explain that refusal was overturned at appeal and visa granted.
Many thanks
Oh OK. I thought it was granted later on so I have already mentioned "No" for Have you ever refused a visa?

In the other information section of the form, I have written the following"I have visited the UK before, please see my cover letter with details of my previous visas and travel dates to the UK. I have been to the UK three times. My second visa was issued after winning an appeal."

What do you recommend, what shall I do now? Shall I mention that in the cover letter from Dad's side? and will that be sufficient?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:53 am

tier21419 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:39 am
AmazonianX wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:29 pm
tier21419 wrote:
Many thanks
Oh OK. I thought it was granted later on so I have already mentioned "No" for Have you ever refused a visa? If it was not refused you wouldn't have had to appeal.

In the other information section of the form, I have written the following"I have visited the UK before, please see my cover letter with details of my previous visas and travel dates to the UK. I have been to the UK three times. My second visa was issued after winning an appeal."

What do you recommend, what shall I do now? Shall I mention that in the cover letter from Dad's side? and will that be sufficient?

tier21419
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Post by tier21419 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:35 am

My viewpoint was that it was granted after the appeal, meaning the refusal was overturned. So basically the final decision/outcome of that application was that a visa was granted.
Therefore, I have mentioned "No" for that question.
In any case, what shall I do? Shall I write and explain in the cover letter and will that be enough?

Any thoughts or any thoughts from other members of the forum?

Many thanks

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:15 am

The form asks if any visa has been refused in the past, the question doesn't specify when that happens or whether it was approved later or not, so you need to respond accordingly.

Depending on the answer, there will be a field within the same form where UKVI asks you to provide an explanation. No need to add any cover letter for this.

Declaring a past visa refusal doesn't necessarily mean that the new application will be denied. However giving incorrect information can have that effect.

UKVI has access to all these records.