ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor visa for my mother

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

shohjura

Visitor visa for my mother

Post by shohjura » Mon May 29, 2023 6:34 pm

hey guys, hope everyone is well!
I have an ILR visa and my wife here on spouse visa. I want to invite my mother to UK in about a year's time on a visitor visa, so started thinking about the docs we need for that.
Issue I have is my mother's surname on her passport and my birth certificate are different, would that be an issue when we apply for visa?

Many thanks

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Visitor visa for my mother

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon May 29, 2023 7:29 pm

It is not likely to be a significant issues as long as you can show the journey from the name on your birth certificate and that on her passport. If you are unable to do that it will become much more involved. You will need some official documentation to verify how and when the change took place.

shohjura

Post by shohjura » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:41 pm

on another note, if I change my ILR visa to British citizenship, would that increase my mother's chances of getting a visit visa?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:29 pm

shohjura wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:41 pm
on another note, if I change my ILR visa to British citizenship, would that increase my mother's chances of getting a visit visa?
British citizens don’t have any special privileges under immigration rules. You will be aware of the restrictive rules for spouse or dependent elderly relative visas. Certainly not for visitor visas.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:40 pm

shohjura wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:41 pm
on another note, if I change my ILR visa to British citizenship, would that increase my mother's chances of getting a visit visa? No, not in any way or form.

shohjura

Post by shohjura » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:07 pm

Hey guys,
So going back to this topic, in my birth certificate my mother's surname is stated the same as my father's surname (both my and my father's surname are the same) as she intended to change it but she kept her maiden surname and didn't change it to my father's surname, so my and mother's surname are different.
I have gone through HO guidance and it says relationship between myself and the application (my mother) needs to be proven. Do we need to show my birth certificate to prove this?

In all my 7 visa applications so far, I have stated my mother's maiden surname as well, not my birth certificate one and I can show photos of us together to do this.

You can probably invite family members/friends to UK on standard visitor visa without having to prove that you are related providing sufficient docs for other things like financial etc are in place, I am not sure if we really need to prove that my mother is my real mother.

Also, for info, previously I applied for visitor visa for my mother and late father for my uni graduation party back in 2014, but their visa application were refused as they asked for supporting bank statements to be for 6 months whereas I provided a day's bank statement (can't remember/find if I submitted my birth certificate then, but I didn't get any extra docs to prove our relationship)

your help and advice much appreciated!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:26 pm

shohjura wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:07 pm
Hey guys,
So going back to this topic, in my birth certificate my mother's surname is stated the same as my father's surname (both my and my father's surname are the same) as she intended to change it but she kept her maiden surname and didn't change it to my father's surname, so my and mother's surname are different.
I have gone through HO guidance and it says relationship between myself and the application (my mother) needs to be proven. Do we need to show my birth certificate to prove this?

In all my 7 visa applications so far, I have stated my mother's maiden surname as well, not my birth certificate one and I can show photos of us together to do this.

You can probably invite family members/friends to UK on standard visitor visa without having to prove that you are related providing sufficient docs for other things like financial etc are in place, I am not sure if we really need to prove that my mother is my real mother.

Also, for info, previously I applied for visitor visa for my mother and late father for my uni graduation party back in 2014, but their visa application were refused as they asked for supporting bank statements to be for 6 months whereas I provided a day's bank statement (can't remember/find if I submitted my birth certificate then, but I didn't get any extra docs to prove our relationship)

your help and advice much appreciated!
There is no requirement to prove relationship exactly however it can stand you in good stead for the application especially if you are providing some support or bearing some cost towards the visit.

shohjura

Post by shohjura » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:16 pm

thanks for the above.
In terms of the other docs, I collect that the following is what is required:

-6 month bank statements from me&my wife to cover my mother's expenses-flight, hotel room, food (I am planning to invite her to UK for 1 month-how much do you think I should hold in my account, would around £6k-£7k held in in my account for 6 months continuously be enough? We are both full time employed and earn around £75k per annum and we don't have kids yet)
-employment letter and my&wife's last 6 months payslips
-to prove her ties back to home-house and store ownership docs, my 2 brothers' (both over 18) passports who live in our country
-cover letter to invite her to UK and reasons for her travel
+breakdown of costs for her stay (to visit us in the uk for the first time, I previously invited my mother and late father to my graduation party, but it was refused because money in the bank was not held for long enough)
-regular connection evidence-is this needed? I regularly send money to my mother (monthly) for the last 10 years, don't think I need to include this to establish regular connection etc, this can be proven with photos, WhatsApp messages etc if needed?
-Tuberculosis certificate
-airbnb booking confirmation for 1 month (we are renting a flat, but not sure if agency will allow for 1 extra person's stay for 1 month)
-don't think flight tickets need to be purchased in advance?

Please, point out if I am missing anything, many thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:02 pm

shohjura wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:16 pm
thanks for the above.
In terms of the other docs, I collect that the following is what is required:

-6 month bank statements from me&my wife to cover my mother's expenses-flight, hotel room, food (I am planning to invite her to UK for 1 month-how much do you think I should hold in my account, would around £6k-£7k held in in my account for 6 months continuously be enough should be and to accommodateyour breakdown of your contributionto her visit to UK? We are both full time employed and earn around £75k per annum and we don't have kids yet)
-employment letter and my&wife's last 6 months payslips
-to prove her ties back to home-house and store ownership docs, my 2 brothers' (both over 18) passports who live in our country
-cover letter to invite her to UK and reasons for her travel
+breakdown of costs for her stay (to visit us in the uk for the first time, I previously invited my mother and late father to my graduation party, but it was refused because money in the bank was not held for long enough)
-regular connection evidence-is this needed? I regularly send money to my mother (monthly) for the last 10 years, don't think I need to include this dont include as it indicatesmore of her dependency on you to establish regular connection etc, this can be proven with photos, WhatsApp messages etc if needed?
-Tuberculosis certificate Not required
-airbnb booking confirmation for 1 month (we are renting a flat, but not sure if agency will allow for 1 extra person's stay for 1 month)
-don't think flight tickets need to be purchased in advance? Not required to buy in advance

Please, point out if I am missing anything, many thanks
Evidence of strong ties to home country.

shohjura

Post by shohjura » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:30 pm

hey AmazonianX,
thanks for clarifying the above points.
what do you mean by 'and to accommodate your breakdown of your contribution to her visit to UK' please?
I am intending to provide breakdown of how much she will spend during her stay.
£6-7k is just for her sole visit, kept in the bank for 6 months, on top of that monthly salary I&my wife get will cover our own expenses like rent, food etc

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:05 pm

shohjura wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:30 pm
hey AmazonianX,
thanks for clarifying the above points.
what do you mean by 'and to accommodate your breakdown of your contribution to her visit to UK' please?
I am intending to provide breakdown of how much she will spend during her stay.
£6-7k is just for her sole visit, kept in the bank for 6 months, on top of that monthly salary I&my wife get will cover our own expenses like rent, food etc
The breakdown of the cost you will be covering should not be more than what is readily available as savings in your account.