ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Work Permit EC

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Smit
Member of Standing

Work Permit EC

Post by Smit » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:04 pm

A friend of mine needs to make a Work Permit Entry Clearance Application, under the document checklist, he is not required to submit any bank statements or proof of accommodation.

Is this specific to his country only (and maybe others) or is it the same case for all Work Permit EC applications at British Missions abroad?

Thanks in advance.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:29 pm

Very few visa categories are exempt from the two key requirements of the rules - ability to maintain and ability to accomodate without recourse to public funds. The ECO may go easy based on the job and income thereof but they still need some evidence of funding/ bonafide accomodation details. Having a WP is no guarantee of a WP Visa is what I am trying to convey here. Might also worth noting ECO's view dependent on who WP is with - if a small unknown business there may be concerns about cashflow etc. Add to this local operational policy - at which visa post is he/she applying?

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:47 pm

Kayalami,

Thank you for your comments. He is applying in Kenya. The BHC Kenya website (application checklist) http://www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk ... 9979780278

asks for such paperwork in all cases (I think) except for the WP EC application. I have advised him not to take chances though and to submit bank statements and proof of accomodation even if it is not expressly required. He is currently in the UK on a student visa but wishes to apply for EC abroad although he can "switch".

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:42 pm

The link refers to minimum requirements. Too risky to follow this list - I would recommend any visa applicant unless the rules explicitly state otherwise to show financial and accomodation capability.

Why not switch. As a minimum (oh how this word has come up so many times :lol: ) - it starts the ILR clock sooner and any issues were such to arise can be resolved in country. Or can he not wait to indulge in a madafu :wink: ?

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:04 pm

I agree with you about switching here but he says he would rather pay £85 for the EC than the £335 for the FLR (IED), plus the madafu factor is also weighing heavily in his mind, he is planning visits to Mombasa and the Maasai Mara from Nairobi (guess the savings made by going down the EC route will contribute towards these visits).

By the way, the UK visas website does not also list bank statements and proof of accomodation under WP visa applications. Funnily enough, Ancestry applicants have to provide these.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:26 pm

By the way, the UK visas website does not also list bank statements and proof of accomodation under WP visa applications. Funnily enough, Ancestry applicants have to provide these.
Any application should be approached from the perspective of the rules - in effect checklists can be accidentally misleading or by designed omission.
plus the madafu factor is also weighing heavily in his mind
As long as he indulges after his EC and not before - of course making sure too he gets his flight back :lol: .
he is planning visits to Mombasa and the Maasai Mara from Nairobi (guess the savings made by going down the EC route will contribute towards these visits
Mara migration a joy to behold - have you had a chance to experience it?

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:58 pm

He has 3 weeks to get his EC and is flying out tomorrow and returning mid October to start work. WP sponsor is a solid FTSE 250 company and WP application (tier 2) turnaround was 4 working days.

He aims to get EC out of way first before indulging in travel. Hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I have been lucky enough to see the migration first hand which is even more amazing than the BBC programmes which show it from time to time. The climax was seeing a leopard with 2 cubs on a tree with a kill on an early morning game drive.