ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working on student visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Malo2
Newly Registered

working on student visa

Post by Malo2 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:28 pm

Hi,

I am currently doing a phd in the UK and I would like to work during a three month break I am planning to take from my programme.

I understand that with a student visa I am permitted to work for a maximum of 20 hours a week during term time and more than that during holidays. The thing is in my school, PhD students choose when to go on holidays and we dont have the same calender as other students.

I was thinking of taking a short contract job for the three months of my break. Is this illegal? Please help !

Malo

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:46 pm

Malo wrote:I was thinking of taking a short contract job for the three months of my break. Is this illegal? Please help !
If it is within a clearly defined break as per the relevant academic/ institution regulations which can be presented to the Home Office if the issue did come up then NO - else YES.

Malo2
Newly Registered

Post by Malo2 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:10 pm

Thanks for your reply.

As for the break, it is a defined break which I am entitled to. But like I said, it's like a floating holiday which I can take when want to.