ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ADR application [Schizophrenia] question(s)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nopal
Newly Registered

ADR application [Schizophrenia] question(s)

Post by nopal » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:49 am

Hello everyone,
1st of all thanks for all the information provided here, I've read this thread
immigration-for-family-members/adult-de ... 87771.html
and others, in addition to the gov's website, requirements, and the grounds for refusal document.

That said, I have a specific question regarding my mother, who I'm trying to get over here.
My mother is 63 and has schizophrenia, a really bad case of schizophrenia that is, that she had for as long as I remember.

I'm from a country in the Middle East, and in our culture, we don't have care homes like here in the UK, kids don't leave their parent's homes and let their parents be on their own. my father passed away, my sister got married and moved abroad with her husband, and I left home in 2015 to work abroad, before coming to the UK in 2017 on a Spouse visa (I still don't have my indefinite leave/passport, I'll be eligible for one in October). Which left my younger brother to care for our mother. By that I mean:
1- going to the Dr once a month on her behalf as she, for the longest time, refused to admit she has any illness (that's how advanced her situation is).
2- got her medicine and followed up on her taking it (along with calls from me and my sister, almost daily, to convince her/beg her to just take the medicine so the "tortures" as she'd call them to ease).
3- cooking for her, washing her clothes, etc...

now my brother is about to leave abroad to join his GF and start a new job he got an offer for! and therefore the only solution is to bring her over here to live with me and my wife and stepson.

I have a few questions:
1) would the fact that I don't have British citizenship yet affect the application?
2) in the case of schizophrenia, it's really really complicated situation when it comes to "long term daily care"; for example: my mom can take a shower on her own, however, if you don't negotiate with her for weeks, she wouldn't. it's a known fact that schizophrenia patients aren't really big on hygiene. OR, my mother can indeed turn the stove on, put the

chicken in a pot with water on let it cook, but more than once, we found that she "cooked" the food for a few minutes and ate it semi-raw or undercooked which is dangerous. that's why we try and keep the fridge full of safely cooked food so she doesn't venture on her own and get herself ill or worse. also, for example, she can brush her teeth, but she needs to be told (and negotiate) doing it, her teeth got so bad because of this over the years that we had to plant a full set of teeth, all of them. Also, she can, sometimes, leave the house and go to the shop, but the last time she did that, she didn't come back for hours, and my brother went to the police and they put an alert on her and he literally drove around the city trying to find her.. she came back home hours later and told us she "was in heaven, where "god" told her to go".. a few days later after lots of investigation and negotiating she told she was lying down in some random building's entrance as "god" told her she has an apartment there and it's heaven...
so.. this is to say, she's not immobile, she is, but it's not safe if she leaves on her own.
She can do daily tasks, but she needs constant reminders, like a toddler, to do them, or for someone to do them for her.. including her medicine, we call her 3 times a day to remind her to take the meds on time, and we can only hope that she is actually taking them.

so question 3) in that case, would the Home Office take that into consideration or not?

4) are there any solicitors who have experience in this kind of cases? ADR wit mental illness? I contacted a couple but none of them dealt with this kind of case before and I don't need to pay a lawyer to tell me "you need to provide 1,2,3".. I know what is needed, (thanks in big part to this forum as well), I need someone with this specific experience, can you recommend please??

notes:
- her mom and dad passed away
- all her sisters and brothers are in her home country, my mom lives with us not in her home country
- there are actually no facilities or services to tend for people like my mom where I come from! one centre that provides daily activities (not round-the-clock care or such) is available but only takes people up to 60 years old!
- we don't have specialized carers for this kind of thing, we have nurses or cleaners who can come to do a specific job.
My mother needs a different kind of care.

thanks

secret.simon

Re: ADR application [Schizophrenia] question(s)

Post by secret.simon » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:57 am

nopal wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:49 am
are there any solicitors who have experience in this kind of cases?
There probably are, but keep in mind that we cannot recommend any particular firm or lawyers on these forums.
nopal wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:49 am
my mom lives with us not in her home country
Is she in the UK on a visit visa?

Keep in mind that if she applies for an ADR visa and gets refused, that will also mean an end to her visit visas, as she has shown an interest in residing in the UK, not merely visiting.

Which countries have your siblings moved to? Have you spoken to them about sponsoring your mother to their new countries of residence? For instance, Canada has a SuperVisa for parents of Canadian permanent residents, which is easier to get.

As you are on a spouse visa, what is the immigration status of your partner?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

nopal
Newly Registered

Post by nopal » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:08 pm

There probably are, but keep in mind that we cannot recommend any particular firm or lawyers on these forums.
oh, bummer, thanks though, I'lll keep looking.
my mom lives with us not in her home country
Is she in the UK on a visit visa?
oh god, I meant to say lives with my brother :) I said "us" because as I said, even when we get married and move abroad, the family house is still considered "our" house :) cultural things seeping into my writing :) to clarify, she and my brother live together in my home country, my mom is from a neighbouring country, where all her relatives are.
Keep in mind that if she applies for an ADR visa and gets refused, that will also mean an end to her visit visas, as she has shown an interest in residing in the UK, not merely visiting.
yup understood, thanks.
Which countries have your siblings moved to? Have you spoken to them about sponsoring your mother to their new countries of residence? For instance, Canada has a SuperVisa for parents of Canadian permanent residents, which is easier to get.
My brother is going to Germany on a work visa, and can't take her with him. Also he's not willing.
My sister is in Qatar, she doesn't work, has 4 kids, and can't accommodate my mom. Also, Qatar didn't even grant her a visit visa, and they don't have a route to bring a family member over to start with.
As you are on a spouse visa, what is the immigration status of your partner?
my partner is a British citizen.

nopal
Newly Registered

Post by nopal » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:16 pm

after a lot of research, I did find a law firm that seem to have enough experience in ADR visas and dealt with different cases of adult dependent relative visas with mental illness. I found a couple actually but one of them they dealt with a lot, especially the famous Osman v ECO [OA/18244/2012] case.
Leaving this here for future seekers in the same position I am maybe it'll help them. I understand we can't recommend solicitors here but if anyone has a question they can message me.

for context, the solicitor said that because my mother has schizophrenia, we might have a slim chance of winning an appeal, that's their assessment.

P.S. initial consultation cost around £200, and handling the case will amount to £4,000-£4,500, and these rates I had from different firms.

P.P.S: even though I read somewhere on the gov's website that I can apply for this visa for my mother before I'm settled, the lawyer made it clear I had to wait till I have my IRL to apply. I must've misunderstood what I initially read on there.

best of luck to anyone taking on this stressful journey!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:47 pm

nopal wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:16 pm
P.P.S: even though I read somewhere on the gov's website that I can apply for this visa for my mother before I'm settled, the lawyer made it clear I had to wait till I have my IRL to apply. I must've misunderstood what I initially read on there.
The website is very clear on the requirements.
Apply as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative
You must be outside the UK to apply and need long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.

One of the following must also apply to the relative:

they’re a British or Irish citizen
they’ve settled in the UK - for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence

they’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status - they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nopal
Newly Registered

Post by nopal » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:53 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:47 pm
nopal wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:16 pm
The website is very clear on the requirements.
Apply as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative
You must be outside the UK to apply and need long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.

One of the following must also apply to the relative:

they’re a British or Irish citizen
they’ve settled in the UK - for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence

they’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status - they must have started living in the UK before 1 January 2021
they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
you're right, my confusion came from somewhere on the gov.uk website that said in a certain case the visa can be applied and if granted, the applicant would have to extend the visa after the son/daughter's status changes. I must've lost myway around gov.uk and was reading something irrelevant.
thanks anyway :)

Monaliza83
Newly Registered

Post by Monaliza83 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:20 pm

Dear nopal, I am in the same exact situation. My mother lives on her own in Eygpt and she suffers from severe schizophrenia :( I hope I can bring her to the UK through the ADR visa and look after her. Any update about your mother's visa? Would you be able to message me regarding the solicitor as I am new in the forum and not yet allowed to send messages? Would really appreciate your insight.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:45 am

Monaliza83 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:20 pm
Dear nopal, I am in the same exact situation. My mother lives on her own in Eygpt and she suffers from severe schizophrenia :( I hope I can bring her to the UK through the ADR visa and look after her. Any update about your mother's visa? Would you be able to message me regarding the solicitor as I am new in the forum and not yet allowed to send messages? Would really appreciate your insight.
OP has not here since May 10.
You may want to ask your questions in your own thread.

nopal
Newly Registered

Post by nopal » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:58 pm

Monaliza83 wrote:
sorry, I'll message you. I thought I had notifications on for this but apparently not!
We haven't applied yet, soon enough though. let me tell you, my friend, you have a looooooong and seemingly-impossible way before you're able to collect all the documents and proofs you need to apply.

nopal
Newly Registered

Post by nopal » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:59 pm

Monaliza83 wrote:
I'm unable to message or view profiles as well :| I hope you see this. what can I help you with?