ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Australian Nurse Married To Brit Who Wants To Go Home

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, Administrator

Bogside Bill
Newly Registered

Australian Nurse Married To Brit Who Wants To Go Home

Post by Bogside Bill » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:27 am

I am an Australian nurse who married a brit lady in England 11yrs ago. I was there on a work visa at that time. We left to come back to Australia to live. My wife wants to go home to UK and I am happy to do so, but due to her failed business venture we have no savings or capital left. We have enough cash to get us over to UK and my sister who has got Brit citizenship living in Sussex has agreed to let us stay with her until i get a job and somewhere to live.

I have always maintained my UK nurses registration so would have no issues with that, but i do not have a visa allowing me entry to work. I would easily qualify for the spouse visa after our marriage lasting so long, but our problem is the cash issue on the application. It feels like a chicken and egg situation. I know i can find work as soon as i get there even if it is agency work, but i cannot get the work until they give me a visa!!

Can anyone give us some advice as to how we can go about getting over there?

Cheers Bill

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:32 am

What's your timeline ..?

Given what you've posted, you should be able to search up employment quite rapidly from Australia. As a spouse, you have rights to work, so you wouldn't have any work permit issues to worry about.

Even if you want to move within 90 days, I'd think you can secure several viable offers.

Nothing prevents your wife from going to the UK. She could leave ahead of you, you guys make sure the spouse visa is all in order, then you should be able to follow.

Ideally she can help you out from the UK with tasks you can't do from Australia.

If I was in your situation, with what little I know about it, I would plan for her to go to the UK in 30 to 60 days. Get established with your sister, get bank accounts & such arranged (if needed).

Immediately apply for spouse visa.

Any funds that can be placed in her bank account(s) - no matter how they get there - will help out later on when you need some documentation of self-support.

She can take up employment immediately, even low-paid or part-time is vastly better than none. She doesn't have to keep it once you arrive in the UK. She could quit on the way to the airport to meet you.

You immediately begin searching for employment (now. today. while still in Oz). Many places will be happy you can work as a spouse (no other visa or permit entanglements). Combined with your long-term marriage (which shows stability & reliability), you will be at a strong advantage over many other people.

Once your wife arrives in the UK, you should be able to follow within 90 days. If you are lucky, then sooner.

There is quite some need for healthcare workers right now ... research exactly which specialties and which locations will best match up against your skills & economics. Relocation can come later after you get your feet under you.

How might you need to adjust that ..?

the Admin
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice

Bogside Bill
Newly Registered

Post by Bogside Bill » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:34 am

Thanks for the reply mate.

My wife already has a UK bank account, even though there is literally a few quid in it, it will be a help. She is not happy at the thought of going on ahead of me but if it means a quick resolution then so be it.
Our main query is the documentation of self support. Because we will have very little cash left after paying for furniture to be shipped etc, we are worried that my visa would be refused. If that happens she will be stuck over there and me still in Australia and what little money we have would have been wasted.
We did phone the British consulate in Canberra which cost a fortune for quite frankly very little help. They would not tell us how much money we would need to submit as sufficient.

Feeling really down about this as we seem to be chasing our tails trying to get the right advice and info to make sure the application would be successful. I am 100% certain I would secure a job pretty much as soon as we arrive. I have 20yrs experience. The problem is that I keep applying for jobs from here telling them I already have UK nursing registration, but not much luck so far. Being stuck down here is a distinct disadvantage