ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP current turnaround + switch card status

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Luluu
Newly Registered
New Zealand

BRP current turnaround + switch card status

Post by Luluu » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm

I've been a silent reader on here for several months and have found these boards to be very helpful.
I've not been able to find the answer to my questions after searching and browsing online and through the boards so apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

1. My in-person application for FLR(M) is on 24th September. Has anyone who has made a recent successful in-person application experienced any delay in receiving their new BRP beyond the '7-10 working days'?
I am supposed to travel on 14th October but don't want to run the risk of not having my BRP arrive in time.

2. I am currently on a Tier 2 visa. Say my spousal visa is approved, does this in effect cancel my Tier 2 visa immediately meaning I am not able to travel using my old BRP once the spouse visa is approved, i.e. cancelled from the application date?

My Tier 2 expires at the end of November so can reschedule my 24th Sep appointment if need be.

I would be grateful for any insight or advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: BRP current turnaround + switch card status

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:42 pm

1. Most members receive them within a few days. Delays are not common but do happen.

2. Your tier 2 visa will be cancelled when your flr m is approved and the brp card will be obsolete and invalid.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:44 pm

My husband got his first BRP after 8 working days (exclude the weekends) so it was almost two weeks after approval at the premium appointment.

They normally have them out within 10 working days.

My brother in law had an extension done last year and got his BRP the next working day. So it all depends if it's just a renewal or a switch.

I think your travel plans should be AOKAY. But account for the full 10 working days on the calendar on this one.

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.

Luluu
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Luluu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks @CR001 and @bathanza for the quick responses. In the end I decided to keep my September appointment and am thrilled (but mostly relieved) that it was successful.

BRP turnaround and card status:
- Before leaving the premium centre, the employee told us that the new BRP card usually arrives within 7 working days. They also said that in reality it's more like 3-4 working days (fingers crossed!)
- The old BRP card is retained by the premium service centre/HO and is not handed back upon collection of original documents
- Side note: it would be brilliant if they had the capability to produce BRP cards onsite to save the hassle and time of sending one out via courier, just my opinion.

Also, for anyone interested about my personal experience at the Croydon premium service centre, a few notes below from me. I hadn't read anyone's experience being like mine so this might help to manage expectations if you're going to the premium service centre for the first time:
- I had a midday appointment and received a decision 4.5 hours later
- I didn't receive any type of premium face-to-face service, the only premium thing about the service was getting a same-day decision
- We arrived about 15 mins before the appointment time and security scanned and let us in
- I found the receptionists to have a real attitude. They will not let you check in until your actual appointment time. Not 10 mins before. Not 5 mins before. There is an A4 printed piece of paper about this but it is behind the Reception desk and probably in 12pt font. The way they communicate the whole checking-in process is far from good customer service and not what you need if you are already feeling anxious about the day
- When checking in at Reception (round 2, on the dot this time), I was asked for the booking reference number, application form and passport. I asked whose passport she needed to see and the response was, "I don't know what you're applying for". If she simply asked for the booking reference and application form FIRST, looked it over, she would know which passports to ask for. What she wanted to see was my passport and my spouse's.
- At the next step, the person who entered my details into the system hardly said anything to us and yawned at least twice while we were sat right in front of her which I thought was unprofessional
- This same person hadn't asked to see my previous passport which I had in front of me. But in the end she asked to include it in the document pack because the caseworker "might want to see it". I thought this was strange seeing as the form specifically asks you to take your current and previous passports!
- I handed over the document pack to the person who took my biometrics and just as we were about to leave the biometrics area we realised we still had the photocopies of our documents. So nobody had even asked us to provide the photocopies! We handed these over with our originals anyway since we went to so much trouble to get everything copied.
- We were told that if we wanted to leave the building we could do so once our ticket number showed as "verified" on the big screen. This was confusing because there is no Verified status on the large screens; only that cases are Awaiting Consideration and Under Consideration. We took Awaiting Consideration to mean that we could leave the building.
- My case number never moved from Awaiting Consideration to the Under Consideration screen so I guess at times the board isn't totally up to date.
- I spoke to a total of 5 different people during my appointment and only 2 of them showed professionalism and friendliness in their communication with me. I felt most staff I encountered don't care that this is a massively nerve wracking experience with life-changing consequences so just DON'T LET THEIR BEHAVIOUR get on your nerves.

I hope this information will help to manage what you might expect at your appointment.

bathanza

Post by bathanza » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:59 pm

Reception attitude - we had that - ignore it.
Rest of the staff were friendly.

Glad it all worked out for you, you should get your BRP very quick, well done for getting a decision within a timely manner (image a 8 hour wait man!!)

Husband's timeline - overstayer 11 yrs
08/16 - FLR (FP) Partner, refused 02/18, 03/18 - JR permission refused with merit
08/18 - FLR FP (Partner) PSC - Approved
07/20 - FLR FP to FLR M Switch - Approved, 03/23 FLR M Ext Approved.