ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mobis007
Newly Registered

Child born in the UK

Post by mobis007 » Sun May 29, 2005 9:00 pm

Hi guys,

What are the next procedures, if any, after the child being born in the UK to foreign nationals who don't hold ILR?

Are we required to report it to HO?

Are the parents obliged to report this to their embassy? Is it mandatory or just optional?

Is it better just to wait and obtain a BC for a child upon receipt of ILR?

Many thanks!

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Sun May 29, 2005 9:52 pm

The child should be registered at least at your embassy and I understand you also need to register it at the council office. ask your midwife about it and they will be able to explain, i understand there is a legal requirement to do so.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

Ali_UK

Post by Ali_UK » Tue May 31, 2005 6:09 am

Hi,

Our son was born recently and we both are non EEA citizen. We got the Birth certificate from council and then applied for passport to local consulate office. We then got the visa for baby from HO.

We were told that baby wil not be come back if we leave uk without visa.

Ali

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:07 pm

mobis007 wrote:What are the next procedures, if any, after the child being born in the UK to foreign nationals who don't hold ILR?
All births in the UK must be registered within 40 days of the event.
mobis007 wrote:Are we required to report it to HO?
No but it is a good idea so the existence of your child is in their systems - one day you will need to acquire some sort of leave/ status for them. Proposed population register as part of identity cards legislation will in future nulify the need for a formal notification.
mobis007 wrote:Are the parents obliged to report this to their embassy? Is it mandatory or just optional?
See above - in addition most countries require such for grant of citizenship docs.
mobis007 wrote:Is it better just to wait and obtain a BC for a child upon receipt of ILR?

Personal decision but you must consider all eventualities including that an ILR application may not occur as a minimum let alone registration as a BC. Likewise as a previous poster has pointed out travel requires formal leave to facilitate re-entry into the UK.

sreeni

Post by sreeni » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:05 pm

hi my wife has joined me in the UK recently and i am a british citizen with british passport, Although we dont want kids yet when we do have children will i have to report them to the embassy etc as others are doing?

Also will my children automatically be british or will they be indian? I am assuming british, But i have relatives who are born in the UK and are British but they have indian passports so dont need to get a Visa when going to india. Is it still possible to do this now?

I had an indian passport when i was a child but my father changed it to a british passport when i was made into british citzen. My father is also an indian who later changed British citizen with British passport. We have lived here about 30yrs.

Also if it is possible for the children to have an indian passport or britsh passport which one is better to have? The immediate advantage of indian passport will be that we dont need visa's to visit india and can stay as long as we want. but is there any downside to look out for?

Is it possible to go back to an indian passport once you have had a british passport and have become british citzen?

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:08 pm

Your Children will be British.

India does allow dual nationality (as far as i know - correct me Indians if I am wrong). Therefore your child can apply for an 'overseas indian passport'. but you wont be allowed to VOTE in India :)
Where there is a will there is a way.