ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Converting a marriage visa to a spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tyler
Newly Registered

Converting a marriage visa to a spouse visa

Post by tyler » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:39 am

Hello Everybody,

I have a small problem. My wife, who is from China, came to the UK on a 6 months marriage visa in October. In November we got married and she gave birth to our first child. I have red on many sites that she can't convert her marriage visa to a spouse visa within the UK, which I find ridiculous. This means she has to travel back to China and apply for a new visa. Under normal circumstances this is manageable, but due to the baby, the situation has become untenable. I don't really want to take my young son on a 13 hour flight to China. Is there any way i can apply for her spouse visa in the UK.

Thanks for all your help

Tyler :D

John

Post by John » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:46 am

Tyler, I am not sure where you got your information from????

When you say "marriage visa" do you mean a fiancée visa? Assuming that to be the case :-

Now the marriage has happened and you want her to have a 2-year spouse visa. Simply apply on form FLR(M), and as you will see from that form the application needs to be made in the UK.

Alternatively, if by "marriage visa" you mean a marriage visitor's visa, then she applied for the wrong visa, and will indeed need to return to China to apply for the spouse visa.

If in doubt about the type of visa your wife has, simply look at it!

Finally, congratulations on the marriage ... and the birth!
John