ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent visa vs Spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jameswebb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iran

Dependent visa vs Spouse visa

Post by jameswebb » Thu May 25, 2023 10:50 am

Hi all,

I'm about to get married in two months, currently I'm on Skilled worker visa and will get my ILR in February 2024.
My question is, if we apply for dependent visa, how long would be the visa? until February 2024 or it will be longer? is it better to wait until I get my ILR and apply for spouse visa or it doesn't really matter? which one is easier?

Bear in mind 4 years ago when I was applying for skilled worker visa I indicated that I'm single, but now I'm getting married and the status is changing.

Also we have been together only for 6,7 months, some people saying you get rejected as they think it's not logical, but we have our chat history, pictures and other documents to provide + marriage certificate which we will get in two months.

any thoughts or suggestions?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Dependent visa vs Spouse visa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 25, 2023 11:18 am

If you apply for a skilled worker dependent visa, it will expire on the same date as your
current visa.

Your choice whether to wait.

Skilled worker dependent visa easier and less requirements than a spouse visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jameswebb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iran

Post by jameswebb » Thu May 25, 2023 12:15 pm

Thanks for your reply, what will happen afterwards? what type of visa will she get?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu May 25, 2023 12:21 pm

jameswebb wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:15 pm
Thanks for your reply, what will happen afterwards? what type of visa will she get?
After what exactly?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

jameswebb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iran

Post by jameswebb » Thu May 25, 2023 12:22 pm

after expiring of my current visa, so when I get my ILR, what type of visa will she get?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu May 25, 2023 12:24 pm

jameswebb wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:22 pm
after expiring of my current visa, so when get my ILR, what type of visa will she get?
If she was on a dependent route (and you got ILR as skilled worker), she can keep renewing a dependent visa; would have to be 2 extensions (3 years each as each extension is a fixed duration). If she was on a spouse visa, she can renew her spouse visa.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

jameswebb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iran

Post by jameswebb » Thu May 25, 2023 12:32 pm

So as I understand, if we apply for dependent visa, she will get a visa until Feb 2024, then we need to extend her visa after me getting my ILR which I guess cost us more as the dates are really close (in less than 6 months)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 25, 2023 12:46 pm

Correct. It will be a 3 year skilled worker dependent visa extension once you have ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jameswebb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iran

Post by jameswebb » Thu May 25, 2023 1:01 pm

Thank you :)

sorry to ask a lot of questions, we are getting married after 6 months of knowing each other, some advisers telling us it's better to wait until I get my ILR before get married or get our marriage certificate because home office will tell us your marriage is not logical as you've been together only 6 months which to me doesn't make sense, we are both adult and mature enough to know what we got into, is it true that they might reject us because of this matter?

also in the following link, I can see it says:

you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply

https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa/ ... d-children

but we haven't been living together yet as couples

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 25, 2023 1:07 pm

You are being advised incorrectly.

You can mary at any time. You will need to prove the relationship is real and subsisting with evidence of meeting in person and communication.

The two years living together is NOT for married couples.

Even people who do arranged marriages get visas.

You are overthinking this point.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jameswebb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iran

Post by jameswebb » Thu May 25, 2023 1:16 pm

Thank god, we were so disappointed when we heard that! so glad I asked my questions here, thank you so much :)