ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR M - Accommodation/correspondence requirement - can I live on a boat?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ninenn
Newly Registered
India

FLR M - Accommodation/correspondence requirement - can I live on a boat?

Post by ninenn » Sat May 20, 2023 1:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm on my second extension of my spouse visa. I have been in the UK for almost 8yrs now (student + spouse visa). My partner and I both have permanent jobs in the UK. We live in a county where living on boats/campervans is widely popular - its a great way to explore the country & save money (hopefully for a house).

We want to live on a boat, the only reason we cannot is- my visa requirements for when I apply to settle.

.Would a sailboat be considered adequate accommodation?

.We would get all our mail sent to the marina we would be staying at (which would be used as correspondence). And have permanent jobs we go to, in the same county. Would this be adequate proof for the authorities?

.Could we use the marina address as our permanent residence address?

I understand this is not a make or break and we could wait until I get on my settlement visa - which is our second option- but renting is v expensive and this move would help us loads and improve our quality of life.

I could not find something similar on this topic, would appreciate any advice on this!
Thank you.

secret.simon

Re: FLR M - Accommodation/correspondence requirement - can I live on a boat?

Post by secret.simon » Sat May 20, 2023 3:13 pm

Not an answer to your questions, but jokes on the lines of "whatever floats your boat" come to mind.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon May 22, 2023 5:12 am

Similar thread below however no update it OP towed that line and berthed the idea successfully with HO.

immigration-for-family-members/slightly ... l#p1815080

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon May 22, 2023 10:42 pm

The definition of the type of “boat” that is being used as accommodation would be the material consideration. If I the boat is a house boat / narrow with defined living space and actual rooms then that should readily meet the requirements. The accommodation would have to designated as your main residence and subject to council tax.

If it is a sailing yacht permanently moored and declared as your main residence with council tax payable, that is less likely to meet the need unless there is enough defined living space.

Just having a postal address for a boat does not in itself meet the accommodation requirements.

ninenn
Newly Registered
India

Post by ninenn » Wed May 24, 2023 10:11 am

It would be a sailing yacht on a permanent berth - atleast 36ft+ , so 3 cabins, galley & living space.

Would that be considered as enough space for just the 2 of us?

Honestly, it would be as big as my previous studio flat - which was accepted as a suitable accommodation.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 24, 2023 1:12 pm

Also see Part X of the Housing Act 1985, which defines overcrowding.

The size of the cabins may be relevant, to meet the space standard.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.