ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) - Ambiguous question around housing

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Scott321
Newly Registered

FLR(M) - 2 years living together - relevant if married?!

Post by Scott321 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi all,

I have recently got married, and my wife is currently in the UK on a Tier 5 International Agreement visa.

Her visa is coming to an end soon (and she doesn't want to extend her Tier 5) - so I thought it would be straightforward to switch her over the a marriage visa while she's in the UK.

However, in filling out the online form, I keep getting questions like this:
  • "Provide items of correspondence at the same address from the date you first started living together, covering the last 2 years"
The thing is - we only met 18 months ago.

My question is: Is this question relevant - given we're married - or is it intended for some other visa cases (e.g. unmarried partner)?

I called the "UK Visas and Immigration contact centre" today (listed on the offical government website here: https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside- ... extensions) and they said that we need to have been together for 2 years. The lady who I spoke to didn't really sound very competent / sure of herself though.

Can anyone shed some light here?

Any help would be much appreciated... :)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: FLR(M) - 2 years living together - relevant if married?!

Post by seagul » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:30 pm

As usuall they have given wrong advice. For initial spouse visa application you wont need any proof of cohabitation covering the last 2 years rather any recent proof of address joint/individually addressed should be fine.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa

Re: FLR(M) - 2 years living together - relevant if married?!

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:43 pm

The Home Office 'helpline' is outsourced to an agency with staff who are poorly trained in the Immigration Rules and frequently give incorrect advice, even on the simplest of issues. You're likely to be given different advice each time you call them and neither will the agency accept any responsibility for the resulting consequences for the caller. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Scott321
Newly Registered

FLR(M) - Ambiguous question around housing

Post by Scott321 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Hi all,

I am currently filling out the online application for my wife to switch from Tier 5 -> Marriage visa (we recently got married).

However, the following "Home Details" question (Finance section) is ambiguous:
You only need to provide this evidence if:
  • you are exempt from meeting the income threshold
  • you are responsible for some housing costs such as rent, mortgage or council tax

The wording is ambiguous. Does anyone know if it means you are in-scope if:
  1. both of these conditions are met; or
  2. either of these conditions are met?

If anyone knows the requirement here for sure, please let me know!

Many thanks!