ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR (M) Extension success at Croydon PSC

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ASD1
Newly Registered

FLR (M) Extension success at Croydon PSC

Post by ASD1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to provide information on my wife's FLR (M) extension in case it may help any of you out there.

First 30 month visa applied for and granted in Chile
Expiry date: 29/04/2016
Applied for extension on 13/02/2016 for further 30 months - granted at Croydon PSC

I'd like to say that if you can afford it, going to one of the PSC offices is by far the best option when it comes to FLR/settlement visas in my opinion. The whole process was smooth and worked as stated on the website. Apart from waiting ages to book an appointment, the whole process has been pretty easygoing, surprising since for many this is surely a stressful event.

We arrived at the PSC office at 9AM and cleared the brief but thorough security check (the security guards were all polite and helpful). Once upstairs on the 3rd floor we were asked to check-in. This consisted of going to a desk and showing proof of payment and confirmation of appointment.

After this, we were asked to take a seat in the waiting area and just after 9.30am our number was called to one of the desks. Once there an officer took the application form, checked the passports, took ONE of the photographs of my wife, entered in some details on the computer and after about 10-15 mins asked us to wait in another area to get biometrics/fingerprints done.

After a little wait, we were asked to go to the biometrics section and there my wife's photo and fingerprints were taken. This didn't take long, but if you are applying with children I'm sure it will take a bit longer. The person who took the photo and fingerprints (very friendly and polite) explained she would be dealing with the application and that it would take about 2.5 hours. She also explained that we could leave the building and come back and that if it took less than 2.5 hours she would call to let us know.

Instead of waiting around for 2.5 hours we decided on going to the nearby shopping centre which was better because you can browse shops and eat etc. We got back just before the 2.5 hour mark and after a short wait our number was called. The immigration was there and explained that the visa had been granted and that the ID card would be sent by post.

All in all the whole thing from arriving to leaving took 4 hours. When she said it would take 2.5 to go through all the docs, it really was 2.5 hours. Honestly, it was not stressful at all and if I can reiterate what I said before, if you can afford it, this is the way to go.

Now onto the docs supplied.

You really just need to follow what the application states and be methodical about it. The docs included:

IHS confirmation
2 passport sized photos of applicant (but they only took 1)
1 passport sized photo of spouse
Passports
Application form
6 months bank statements applicant AND spouse
6 month wage slips applicant AND spouse
Proof of language ability
Marriage cert
Confirmation of employment applicant AND spouse
Employment contract applicant AND spouse
Correspondence covering the last 2 years (this consisted of tax letters, previous bank statements, GP letters, hospital letters, council tax, energy bills, gym membership letters, tenancy agreements, previous payslips)

We handed over the originals and also photocopies of ALL of the docs submitted. This doesn't have to packaged in any particular way, but we placed all the photocopies in a A4 sized envelope and labelled it 'photocopies'.

And that's it...for now.

I guess the by the time my wife applies for settlement there'll be new conditions and a new form to fill and new docs to submit, but for now, doing it this was pretty good!

Hope this info helps others but any questions feel free to ask!

A

Omaricious

Re: FLR (M) Extension success at Croydon PSC

Post by Omaricious » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience with us

just a quick question though, your wife's visa expires on 29/04/2016 and you applied nearly 2 months in advance. do you have any idea when would the ID card start? would it be 13/02/2016 or 30/04/2016?

how long before did you manage to book PSC appointment?

My visa Expires on 12/06/2016 is it possible to book the appointment now?

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:37 am

Omaricious wrote:just a quick question though, your wife's visa expires on 29/04/2016 and you applied nearly 2 months in advance. do you have any idea when would the ID card start? would it be 13/02/2016 or 30/04/2016?

how long before did you manage to book PSC appointment?

My visa Expires on 12/06/2016 is it possible to book the appointment now?

Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks
FLR(M) does not follow on from the current visa expiry date, it is from the date of being granted the extension so in the case of the OP above, the ID card would start from 13/02/2016 (the date of the PSC).

It is possible to book an appointment for FLR(M) early but you must ensure you have five years of residence in total after the second extension when you apply.

Otherwise you won't be able to apply for ILR when the time comes as you will be short of the five year period meaning you would have to apply for another FLR(M) in order to complete the period.

Appointment can only be booked 42 days in adavance.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

michali
Member of Standing

Post by michali » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:06 am

I have seen on another forum that they are now dating the BRP from the date of expiry of current visa. Hopefully the OP will let us all know the date on his BRP when it arrives as it is important, as stated , to make sure applicants have five years residence when applying for ILR.

Omaricious

Post by Omaricious » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:14 pm

[/quote] It is possible to book an appointment for FLR(M) early but you must ensure you have five years of residence in total after the second extension when you apply.

Otherwise you won't be able to apply for ILR when the time comes as you will be short of the five year period meaning you would have to apply for another FLR(M) in order to complete the period.

Appointment can only be booked 42 days in adavance.[/quote]

In my case I will complete 2.5 years on 10 June while my visa expires on 12 June.

Is it possible to book an appointment on 6 June without affecting my ILR application in the future?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Yes
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

ASD1
Newly Registered

Post by ASD1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:48 am

Hi,

We were able to apply 2 months before because my wife reached her 2.5 year mark in Feb. You don't have to apply just before the end of the visa but you must ensure you have been in the UK for 2.5 years.

The next extension will be for 30 months which will take my wife to 60 months in total. Only when you have reached the 60 month mark can you apply for settlement.

The BRP card will be valid from the 13/02/16 for 2.5 which will take my wife to 5 years here in the UK. According to current rules you can apply for settlement 28 days before the 5 years are due.

In order to calculate if your eligible, look at the date your arrived to the UK and then see what your 2.5 years and then 5 years from that date is.

Hope this helps but any questions just ask!

A

WR1

Post by WR1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm

michali wrote:I have seen on another forum that they are now dating the BRP from the date of expiry of current visa. Hopefully the OP will let us all know the date on his BRP when it arrives as it is important, as stated , to make sure applicants have five years residence when applying for ILR.
This can not be the case as what is to stop someone from applying too early (say a couple of years) before the expiry of their current visa if the date follows on from the expiry date rather than being granted the extension. There is no time restrictions when one can apply for FLR(M).

As the OP has confirmed, the date of the FLR(M) will follow from when you were granted the extension successfully. it is important to ensure you satisfy the residence requirement i.e. ensure you have the full 5 year residence period before applying for ILR. As the OP has pointed out, you can apply up to 28 days prior to completing that period, so it is not relevant that you apply near the expiry date of the visa, but you complete the 5 year period.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided