ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) or other family visa?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

varenyk54
Newly Registered
Canada

FLR(M) or other family visa?

Post by varenyk54 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:15 am

Hello,

I'm currently working on an application extension for flr(m) in October but am wondering if I'm eligible for any other type of spousal/settlement visa.

I arrived in the UK with my partner (British citizen) in September 2014, originally on a working holiday visa. I was able to switch this to the unmarried partner visa in January 2019, which is running out at the start of October. I'm not certain that staying in the UK post-Brexit will have the same amount of opportunities which brought us here, and I'm reluctant to fork out the cash for the flr(m) because it may be that we have to leave well before it expires - a waste in my opinion.

My question is whether or not I have any other family visa options - such as getting married or applying as a dependent instead? We've been in the UK for nearly 5 years, and I'm aware that the time on my working holiday visa doesn't count towards ILR. A friend suggested for us to get married and I started looking into it but I think I need to have been on a partnership visa for 3 years to do that.

I welcome any advice and ideas. Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: FLR(M) or other family visa?

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 am

I'm currently working on an application extension for flr(m) in October but am wondering if I'm eligible for any other type of spousal/settlement visa.
FLR(M) is the spouse settlement visa and the only one you can apply for if your partner is British.
I arrived in the UK with my partner (British citizen) in September 2014, originally on a working holiday visa. I was able to switch this to the unmarried partner visa in January 2019, which is running out at the start of October.
Is your date correct??
I'm not certain that staying in the UK post-Brexit will have the same amount of opportunities which brought us here, and I'm reluctant to fork out the cash for the flr(m) because it may be that we have to leave well before it expires - a waste in my opinion.
Brexit has NO effect on the UK immigration route visas. It ONLY affects the EEA/EU route.
My question is whether or not I have any other family visa options - such as getting married or applying as a dependent instead? We've been in the UK for nearly 5 years, and I'm aware that the time on my working holiday visa doesn't count towards ILR.
You are already on the correct visa route as a dependent. There is nothing else you can change to.
A friend suggested for us to get married and I started looking into it but I think I need to have been on a partnership visa for 3 years to do that.
Not sure what exactly you are referring to by 'partnership for 3 years'?? Whether you are married or unmarried, it is the same visa extension category you apply for, i.e. FLR(M).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

varenyk54
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by varenyk54 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:55 am

Apologies for the double post, I thought this one had an error so I tried re-posting.

My date was indeed incorrect, it should have said January 2017. So we're coming up on 3 years living together as far as the Home Office is concerned, even though we've been together for nearly 9. This is the marriage option I was referring to:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse

Going through the questionnaire on the government website, it says I'm also eligible for SET(M) but an confused by the first point in the eligibility requirement:
If you’ve got a family visa as a partner or spouse on the 5-year route, you must have been living in the UK for 5 years

By these words I will have been in the UK for 5 years if I apply in September, but not all of that time will have been on a partnership visa which I'm guessing is also part of the vague requirements?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 am

My date was indeed incorrect, it should have said January 2017. So we're coming up on 3 years living together as far as the Home Office is concerned, even though we've been together for nearly 9. This is the marriage option I was referring to:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse
Getting married will make no difference. To qualify for Citizenship, you need ILR and ILR takes 5 years residence on a qualifying visa. Tier 5 YMS is not a qualifying visa. The only benefit being married will bring is once you have ILR, you do not have to wait another 12 months before applying for citizenship as the spouse of a British citizen.
Going through the questionnaire on the government website, it says I'm also eligible for SET(M) but an confused by the first point in the eligibility requirement:
If you’ve got a family visa as a partner or spouse on the 5-year route, you must have been living in the UK for 5 years

By these words I will have been in the UK for 5 years if I apply in September, but not all of that time will have been on a partnership visa which I'm guessing is also part of the vague requirements?
You need 5 years on the unmarried partner visa, ie FLR(M) as clearly stated in the immigration rules. Working holiday visa does not lead or count for ILR based on 5 years residence. It would only count for ILR based on 10 years long residence.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

varenyk54
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by varenyk54 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Ok, thanks for your time and input