ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Funding for visa fees

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

okeydokey
Newly Registered

Help required for mum to come to family in UK

Post by okeydokey » Mon May 16, 2022 3:13 pm

Hi, Apologies in advance if I'm duplicating previously posted questions or the answers are obvious. My job is working with vulnerable families and we're often given cases without any partner agencies to offer advice and out of our areas of 'expertise'.

I work with a man from Uganda. He is a British citizen of over 20 years standing and lives here with his 2 young children, mum is still in Uganda. This man is seriously ill and is struggling to look after the kids. His condition is likely to worsen and he desperately needs his wife here. He is trying to save up for the visa/ health fee but presently is struggling to put money in the gas metre, let alone save up over 2k. As I said, he's gravely ill and children are having to kip on friends' floors whenever he is admitted to hospital. From what I gather, we need to have the fee waived (on humanitarian grounds?) but who can do this? I have asked the immigration help in the area I work but they haven't responded and I can't get through on phone.

Again, thanks in advance.

secret.simon

Re: Help required for mum to come to family in UK

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 16, 2022 7:13 pm

To the best of my knowledge (and others will correct me if I am wrong), fee waivers will only apply if the applicant (in this case, the Ugandan mother of the children) is already in the UK. I do not think that a fee waiver can be applied for the initial application to enter the UK.
JCWI: Application fees - applying for a fee waiver wrote:However, if you're in the UK and making an application based on your human rights, but you can't afford the fee, you might be able to apply for something called a fee waiver.
You may also want to read the Fee waiver: Human Rights-based and other specified applications caseworker guidance on how the Home Office caseworkers would assess the application.

I see that you are relatively new to these forums. So here is a potted summary of UK immigration: Simply put, the UK immigration system is very hostile to all but those who bring either wealth or knowledge/expertise into the UK. That s also why the fees are so relatively high.

Note that I am not a lawyer, merely somebody who can google reasonably well. Wait for others to advise further.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

okeydokey
Newly Registered

Post by okeydokey » Mon May 16, 2022 7:17 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:13 pm
To the best of my knowledge (and others will correct me if I am wrong), fee waivers will only apply if the applicant (in this case, the Ugandan mother of the children) is already in the UK. I do not think that a fee waiver can be applied for the initial application to enter the UK.
JCWI: Application fees - applying for a fee waiver wrote:However, if you're in the UK and making an application based on your human rights, but you can't afford the fee, you might be able to apply for something called a fee waiver.
You may also want to read the Fee waiver: Human Rights-based and other specified applications caseworker guidance on how the Home Office caseworkers would assess the application.

I see that you are relatively new to these forums. So here is a potted summary of UK immigration: Simply put, the UK immigration system is very hostile to all but those who bring either wealth or knowledge/expertise into the UK. That s also why the fees are so relatively high.

Note that I am not a lawyer, merely somebody who can google reasonably well. Wait for others to advise further.
Thanks Simon. Will read that info and await further instructions...

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 am

Also see Freemovement: How to apply for a visa as the parent of a child in the UK.

The applicant mother may also have to prove that she will have adequate maintenance and accommodation in the UK and will almost certainly not be eligible for benefits themselves.

Also, how old are the children?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 17, 2022 4:41 am

secret.simon wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:13 pm
See also Policy on fee waivers for entry clearance is unlawful, government concedes
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

okeydokey
Newly Registered

Post by okeydokey » Tue May 17, 2022 8:12 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 am

2 and 4, poor things. Dad has a number of illnesses, including HIV, and is currently in hospital having suffered a stroke.

okeydokey
Newly Registered

Post by okeydokey » Tue May 17, 2022 8:13 am

What? This government pulling illegal manoeuvres? Never!

okeydokey
Newly Registered

Funding for visa fees

Post by okeydokey » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:01 pm

Hi. As part of my job, I am working with a man who was initally from Uganda. He has been a naturalised British citizen since '98. He met a woman in Uganda whilst visiting a few years ago and they had 2 children whom he brough back to the UK. Dad is extremely ill with a variety of serious illnesses and mum is in Uganda. He is getting help from a charity to bring her over but he tells me that the fee + NHS charge will be around £4,000. There is no way that he can afford this and it feels like going through official processes and appeals to have the fee waived will take too long. This family need mum here asap. So, I thought of maybe trying to crowdfund the money or applying for help from charities (in my own time, work wouldn't allow this). Does anyone have any experience of this or advice they could share? TIA.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Funding for visa fees

Post by JB007 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:37 pm

You already have a thread.
immigration-for-family-members/help-req ... l#p2070417

With all his health problmes, why did he bring the children to the UK? Wouldn't these pre-school age children have been better off with their mohter?

okeydokey
Newly Registered

Post by okeydokey » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:59 pm

I started a new thread as this is about a different issue, namely ways to fund the visa rather than how to get one, if that makes sense.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:21 pm

okeydokey wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:13 pm
As I said, he's gravely ill and children are having to kip on friends' floors whenever he is admitted to hospital.
okeydokey wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:12 am
secret.simon wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:01 am

2 and 4, poor things. Dad has a number of illnesses, including HIV, and is currently in hospital having suffered a stroke.

Not about funding visa fees, but does he tell the different benefits offices when he is in hospital?
Going into hospital if you get benefits

You must tell the office that pays your benefit as soon as possible if you:

go into hospital for one night or longer
go into a care home or rehabilitation centre for one night or longer
will miss a Jobcentre Plus appointment because you’re in hospital or have a medical appointment

A friend or relative can call for you.

Your claim might be stopped or reduced if you do not report a hospital stay.

Who you tell depends on which benefits you get. You might need to report your change to more than one organisation if you get more than one benefit.
https://www.gov.uk/going-to-hospital-benefits

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:23 pm

okeydokey wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:59 pm
I started a new thread as this is about a different issue, namely ways to fund the visa rather than how to get one, if that makes sense.
Why doesn't he send the kids back to their mum. It seems cheaper to do this. This way he can focus on his health. From your explanation, the kids are British obviously, so they can always come back at a later date.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

okeydokey
Newly Registered

Post by okeydokey » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:20 pm

That's an option and if he decideds to do that and we need advice I will be sure to ask onhere. However, I'm currently looking at helping him to fund an application so could do with some advice on what was in my original post, namely does anyone have any experience of using charities/ crowdfunding to pay for a visa/ NHS charge etc or advice they could share?