ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gap between divorcing EEA marriage and marrying a UK citizen

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Cent 2016
Newly Registered

Gap between divorcing EEA marriage and marrying a UK citizen

Post by Cent 2016 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:02 am

Hi, Forgive if this question has been answered elsewhere.
I am currently divorcing an EEA national, after 4yrs of marriage. She is not exercising treaty right, hence useless for further application.
I plan to marry a UK citizen in an Anglican church as soon as possible. I want know whether the gap between me getting a decree absolute, wedding my new wife and applying to the home office, would affect my application in any way.
thanks in advance
Cent2016

noajthan

Re: Gap between divorcing EEA marriage and marrying a UK cit

Post by noajthan » Sun May 15, 2016 9:07 am

Cent 2016 wrote:Hi, Forgive if this question has been answered elsewhere.
I am currently divorcing an EEA national, after 4yrs of marriage. She is not exercising treaty right, hence useless for further application.
I plan to marry a UK citizen in an Anglican church as soon as possible. I want know whether the gap between me getting a decree absolute, wedding my new wife and applying to the home office, would affect my application in any way.
thanks in advance
Cent2016
Where are you?
Nationality?

If in UK, what is your current immigration status?
(especially if your current spouse/sponsor is not exercising treaty rights through which you would have a right to reside in UK)
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 15, 2016 9:14 am

In addition to Noajthan's questions, are you aware that even if you marry in an Anglican church you will have to register your intention to marry with a Home Office designated registry office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the HO, who can extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both if they choose to do so, before the wedding can take place.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Cent 2016
Newly Registered

Post by Cent 2016 » Thu May 19, 2016 6:47 am

Noajthan,
I live in the UK, for 18 years.
My current status is as a family member of EU citizen. She exercises treaty rights on and off.

I am a Nigerian.

Casa, I am not aware of that, and my vicar has not informed me. I however, read the immigration guidelines to vicars, posted somewhere on this forum, and there was no mention of this.
I know i need a licence to marry, which involves interview of some sort.
thanks
Cent 2016

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu May 19, 2016 10:05 am

As a foreign national, you need to register with a Home Office designated Registry Office before the church ceremony can take place. I suggest that you ask your vicar to speak with the local Registrar.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.