ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILE letter with expiry date

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Anonbha
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

ILE letter with expiry date

Post by Anonbha » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:41 pm

Hello,
Thank you for all the advice last year, it really helped us a lot.

As planned our child was born outside the UK and we applied for an ILE to bring our child back into the UK since both us parents have ILR.

We received the ILE recently and the letter/email from the home office said the visa was time bound i.e. they gave an expiry date for the ILE in the letter (even though the visa vignette clear states that its "indefinite leave to enter").

The visa expiry date seemed rather random, so I did some digging and found this article from 2019:
Solicitor weblink removed by moderator

I draw your attention these particular paragraphs and the highlighted section:
Although indefinite leave, by definition, will not expire, the Entry Clearance Officer is unable to issue a visa to those who meet the criteria for ILE without putting a ‘validity date’ on the visa. In cases of ILE, the ‘validity date’ on the visa should match the expiry date on the passport. When the applicant gets a new passport, they can apply to UK Border Agency for a transfer of conditions into their new passport. They do not need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
I double checked with my daughter passport and the visa expiry date matches her passport’s expiry date.

Having said that I am unsure about transferring it to a new passport since visas are no longer in passport but issued as a BRP card.

Hence I am still confused with this matter but at least now it does not seem like mistake or a coincidence that expiry dates of the visa and passport match.

Could someone please clarify the situation for me and what it means.

Anonbha
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Re: ILE letter with expiry date

Post by Anonbha » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:27 am

Sorry for posting a reply to my original post but I can't seem to edit it now.

The exact wording in the letter that cause concern (I have obfuscated the exact dates for privary reasons):
This notice explains that, when you arrive in the UK, you will have permission to be in the UK (known as permission to enter) as SETTLEMENT TO JOIN/ACC PARTNER - from XX XXX 2023 until <PASSPORT expiry date>

GuerillaMethod
Mood:
Iran

Post by GuerillaMethod » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:27 pm

I think you will need to read the government website for transfer of passport visa to BRP.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-service

Anonbha
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by Anonbha » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:55 pm

GuerillaMethod wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:27 pm
I think you will need to read the government website for transfer of passport visa to BRP.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-service
Not sure this applies in my daughter's case. Her entry clearance visa/vignette in the passport is valid for just 3 months for her to enter the UK. She will be automatically issued a BRP card anyway once she enters the UK.

Hence the confusion as explained in my original post.