ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

options for old parent

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rbsjp
India

options for old parent

Post by rbsjp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:35 am

I am a British Citizen. I got citizenship in 2016 via 5 year TIER 1 route. My mother is here in UK on visitor visa for 6 months. She is 80 years old widow. I am her eldest son. She has no children in India. Her daughter lives in Australia and other son ( my younger brother) in Canada. It is not possible for her to live in India alone. What are the options available for her to settle in UK?
RS

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Re: options for old parent

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:49 am

rbsjp wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:35 am
I am a British Citizen. I got citizenship in 2016 via 5 year TIER 1 route. My mother is here in UK on visitor visa for 6 months. She is 80 years old widow. I am her eldest son. She has no children in India. Her daughter lives in Australia and other son ( my younger brother) in Canada. It is not possible for her to live in India alone. What are the options available for her to settle in UK?
Adult Dependant Relative visa, however this appears to be the hardest visa to get with stringent conditions and a minuscule success rate.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 am

rbsjp wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:35 am
Practically none. As mentioned above, there is the Adult Dependant Relative visa, but that has high thresholds to meet and has a refusal rate of about 80% after appeals (94% without appeals).

And keep in mind that if refused, that will also make any future visit visas also impossible, as the applicant (your mother) has already shown an interest in settling in the UK and not merely visiting.

As you have siblings in Australia and Canada, it may be worth looking at your mother moving in with them. Canada has a "supervisa" for parents of Canadian citizens which allows them to live in Canada for two years at a time.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:25 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:11 am
As you have siblings in Australia and Canada, it may be worth looking at your mother moving in with them. Canada has a "supervisa" for parents of Canadian citizens which allows them to live in Canada for two years at a time.
Australia have the 103 visa for the parent of a child settled in Australia.
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/g ... parent-103

rbsjp
India

Post by rbsjp » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:44 pm

My mother is currently on visitor visa in UK which expires in Feb 2021. What are the options? If I extend the visitor visa in UK what will be the implications for her future travel to UK?
RS

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:31 pm

rbsjp wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:44 pm
My mother is currently on visitor visa in UK which expires in Feb 2021. What are the options? If I extend the visitor visa in UK what will be the implications for her future travel to UK?
On what basis or grounds would you want to apply for extension?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:57 pm

It is generally not possible to extend a visit visa past staying in the UK for six months.

Keep in mind that visit visas are meant for visiting (short stays), not residing, which is why those applying for visit visas are required to provide proof of strong social and economic ties to their country of origin.

Also keep in mind that if the visit visa is extended, her travel insurance may not be valid for a stay longer than certain periods of time (all the travel insurance policies I have used do not cover staying in the same country for more than 31-35 days). And if she were to use the NHS, she would be charged 150% cost price. At 80 years of age, that is a risk you need to evaluate seriously.
rbsjp wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:44 pm
What are the options?
Get your siblings to start the process for her getting a longer stay visit visa to Canada or Australia, as the case may be.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:26 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:57 pm
Also keep in mind that if the visit visa is extended, her travel insurance may not be valid for a stay longer than certain periods of time (all the travel insurance policies I have used do not cover staying in the same country for more than 31-35 days). And if she were to use the NHS, she would be charged 150% cost price. At 80 years of age, that is a risk you need to evaluate seriously.
From a very old post I found on here (which I can't find now) somebody said they had lost in court and now they had to pay the 37k(?) NHS debt for their visiting father who had a stroke. I'm fairly sure that post was before the UK brought in adding 50% to the NHS bill too!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:39 pm

JB007 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:26 am
From a very old post I found on here (which I can't find now) somebody said they had lost in court and now they had to pay the 37k(?) NHS debt for their visiting father who had a stroke.
Is this the thread you had in mind?

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:20 am

secret.simon wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:39 pm
JB007 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:26 am
From a very old post I found on here (which I can't find now) somebody said they had lost in court and now they had to pay the 37k(?) NHS debt for their visiting father who had a stroke.
Is this the thread you had in mind?
Well done.