ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Partner has no surname - Spouse Visa Application UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Arksba
Newly Registered

Partner has no surname - Spouse Visa Application UK

Post by Arksba » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:08 am

Hi all,

So we will be applying for my my wife's spousal application to join me in the UK. My wife is in India.

As my wife does not have a surname s indicated on her indian passport, is there an option that allows just the first name?

If not what is the best option to put? I.e. '----' or 'blank' or something else?

Thanks

Jhelumi
Mood:

Re: Partner has no surname - Spouse Visa Application UK

Post by Jhelumi » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:22 am

Hello,

You should've arranged for your name to be added on the marriage certificate for your wife and then applied for ID/Passport with those updated details.

In Pakistan, some people only have a single name. However, after marriage (and for visa purposes), the partner's or her father's name is adopted as the surname. A new ID Card is then applied for using the Marriage Certificate as evidence, followed by applying for the Pakistani Passport using the new ID Card. That's how it works in Pakistan at least.

secret.simon

Re: Partner has no surname - Spouse Visa Application UK

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:44 pm

If she has not yet started her immigration journey, much better to have a name change and then a new passport issued to her in her new name with surname. A name change mid-immigration journey can get complicated, especially as some countries may require your physical presence in that country to issue you a new passport.

In many countries, marriage is considered a valid reason for a name change and a marriage certificate is considered sufficient to have a new identity document, such as a new passport, issued.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.