ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse visa/divorce questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jeri
Newly Registered

spouse visa/divorce questions

Post by Jeri » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:03 am

Hello! Got some questions again.

Lets say I got my spouse visa then went to UK. Due to unavoidable circumstances, we didnt live as a couple for the 1st yr of our marriage but were able to sort out and get back on the 2nd yr.

1) Is it true that HO will not grant me ILR bec we didnt meet the 2yr requirement for spouse visa? Is it possible to extend and make up for it? Will HO give us another chance?
2) If it cant be extended, will HO ask me to leave UK when my spouse visa expires?
3) What are my other options?
4) If we get divorced before my visa expires and i've decided to re-marry while in UK, will the HO take it against me if i re-marry? Will they question my 1st marriage?
5) If 2yrs has passed and was able to divorced my husband, and returned to my home country. If I've decided to re-marry.. will the embassy question my 1st marriage as well? Will i apply for spouse visa again?

Sorry for asking loads of questions. Im sorting out my life right now and wanted to know my choices/options/consequences before I make a move.

I want to save our marriage but my husband has asked me to let him sort out his life first alone. He wanted me to wait for him indefinitely which I can't, I told him I will but when my visa expires I've got no choice but to leave. Though he still wants us to continue our marriage but cant be together as of the moment. He cant give me an assurance. :(

Dan_groom
Newly Registered

Confused......

Post by Dan_groom » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:19 pm

but didn't you only just marry this guy and gave everyone advice on how to get a spousal visa?

Is it not too soon to talk about divorce and re-marriage?

Jeri
Newly Registered

Post by Jeri » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:22 am

Yes but it was his decision to give him some time first to sort out his life alone. We are both emotionally drained. Its a difficult situation but he needs to be with his son, I cant join him bec his ex-gf warned him not to bring me along. I've been away for 3mons bec of my visa and I cant do anything. I've beg him to wait for me and talk about it but he said he has no choice. Im still hoping things will work out but since Im on my own now, I just want to think ahead.

spooklightCW
Newly Registered

Post by spooklightCW » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:50 pm

Hi Jeri,

So sorry to hear about your problems with your husband.
Just an advice, if your spouse visa expires and you will have to re apply again but the embassy may not grant you another spouse visa because they will think that the marriage is not genuine.

I just read it on a newspaper about a filipina who broke up with her husband, they didnt divorce, they just spent time apart from each other, the filipina move back to the philippines and now they reconcile and the embassy doesnt want to grant her a visa. Considering that they have a child. I guess they filed an appeal.

Just tell that to your husband.

BG101

Post by BG101 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:37 pm

I want to save our marriage but my husband has asked me to let him sort out his life first alone. He wanted me to wait for him indefinitely which I can't, I told him I will but when my visa expires I've got no choice but to leave. Though he still wants us to continue our marriage but cant be together as of the moment. He cant give me an assurance.
I cant join him bec his ex-gf warned him not to bring me along.
I've beg him to wait for me and talk about it but he said he has no choice. Im still hoping things will work out but since Im on my own now, I just want to think ahead.
I'm sorry, but from the above posts it is clear that the commitment between you and your husband, as a married couple, is gone ... why would you still want a visa to stay here on the basis of marriage? Seems your best option, if you still want to live in the UK, is to apply for a work permit or HSMP.

If I were an ECO and had a look at the above comments I would refuse a visa, on the basis that the marriage is not genuine and there is no ongoing commitment between yourselves to live together as a married couple. Merely the mention of divorce and re-marrying is confirmation of that.

I am sorry but it seems that your husband can not break his ties with his previous relationship and is putting you in an impossible position whereby you have to wait on an indefinite basis "whilst he sorts his life out". His ex gf has nothing to do with it, it's his decision whether to accept her "warning" or not.

I am sorry to be so hard but this is the way it comes across.

I hope you can resolve things and I wish I could be more supportive.

Best regards
BG