ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa for my wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

M-N
Newly Registered

Spouse visa for my wife

Post by M-N » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:07 am

Thank you very much for reading this post in advance as my case is rather complex. The information about my case is as below:

1. I have dual nationalities - Vietnamese and British.

2. I was married to another Vietnamese and registered the marriage in Vietnam (in 2014) before I was naturalized as a British citizen in 2019.

3. I was then divorced in 2019 in the UK as my ex-wife refused to go back to Vietnam to divorce. As a result, I had to go through a long process to get the divorce legalized in Vietnam.

4. After getting the divorce legalized in Vietnam, I can get married again. My wife is also Vietnamese. The issue is that when we registered our marriage with the Vietnamese local authority, I used my nationality as a Vietnamese citizen rather than a British citizen.

My question is that can I use that marriage certificate in my wife's application for a spouse visa? Or do I need to get my marriage registered in the UK first before my wife makes the application? If it is the case, what is the procedure to go through?

Thank you so much for your help.

M-N
Newly Registered

Re: Spouse visa for my wife

Post by M-N » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:15 am

I am sorry but can anyone please advise? Thank you very much.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:58 am

Provided your marriage is legally recognised in Vietnam and it is not a polygamous marriage, it will be recognised for most purposes in UK law. You do not need to register it separately again.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

M-N
Newly Registered

Post by M-N » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:29 am

Thank you very much.