ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Citizen returning with US spouse?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Trin1121
Newly Registered
United States of America

UK Citizen returning with US spouse?

Post by Trin1121 » Mon May 22, 2023 4:11 pm

Just looking for some pointers as the whole visa landscape is confusing.

So, I am a dual citizen, I guess? Born in UK, so UK citizen with passport. I am also a naturalized US citizen with US passport. I emigrated to the US in 2003 and have lived here since then. I have been married to my husband for over 15 years. My husband is a US citizen through birth and has never lived anywhere besides the US.

My husband and I want to relocate to the UK permanently within the next few years. We have no children and sufficient savings to pass the income threshold.

What route do we pursue? How difficult will this be? Will we both qualify for NHS healthcare once settled in the UK?

Thanks in advance!!

Casa

Re: UK Citizen returning with US spouse?

Post by Casa » Mon May 22, 2023 5:51 pm

Trin1121 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:11 pm
Just looking for some pointers as the whole visa landscape is confusing.

So, I am a dual citizen, I guess? Born in UK, so UK citizen with passport. I am also a naturalized US citizen with US passport. I emigrated to the US in 2003 and have lived here since then. I have been married to my husband for over 15 years. My husband is a US citizen through birth and has never lived anywhere besides the US.

My husband and I want to relocate to the UK permanently within the next few years. We have no children and sufficient savings to pass the income threshold.

What route do we pursue? How difficult will this be? Will we both qualify for NHS healthcare once settled in the UK?

Thanks in advance!!
As a British Citizen, you have the right of abode in the UK and will have access to NHS healthcare. However, your husband will need to apply for a Spouse visa before entering the UK. With his visa application he will also have to pay the NHS surcharge in order to cover any healthcare he may need.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

The initial visa will enable your husband to reside with you in the UK for a period of 2 years 9 months, after which he will have to apply for a further leave to remain visa - FLR(M to extend his residence for another 2.5 years. Once this is completed he will then be entitled to apply for permanent residence - SET(M). He will be required to meet the same conditions with each application and also pay the NHS Surcharge each time. A visa fee also has to be paid with each application.

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application

The fee for the Health Surcharge for the first visa is currently £1872.00 + the visa application fee of £1,538
Bear in mind that the fees may rise before you are ready to make the move back.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Re: UK Citizen returning with US spouse?

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 22, 2023 6:03 pm

Both he and you will be eligible for NHS coverage.

In his case, he will need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge when applying for the spousal visa (and any renewals), which will allow him access to the NHS.

The immigration fees will be ~£1500 for the first spousal visa application for 2 years and 9 months and ~£1800 for the Immigration Health Surcharge for the same period. Different fees and surcharges will be payable at the end of that period for a renewal of the spousal visa.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.