ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Spouse visa and criminal record

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Igrace
Newly Registered
Australia

UK Spouse visa and criminal record

Post by Igrace » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:41 am

Hi everyone. I’m australian and married to a British citizen. We have a 4 month old baby together and are looking at moving to the uk together and applying for a spouse visa. I stupidly went drink driving and got caught and a criminal record 15 months ago. I have had a look on the myGov website and it seems that should be fine after 12 months has passed but I’m confused about the section it says about conviction causing serious harm it has something about drink driving. Does this mean I still fall into the category of causing serious harm even though I didn’t? But because I went drink driving it COULD have caused serious harm or am I reading it all wrong? Has anyone on here applied for a uk spouse visa with drink driving on their record and been approved? Thank you for your help

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: UK Spouse visa and criminal record

Post by seagul » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:41 pm

Just answer it honestly wherever will it be asked for and hopefully at spouse visa stage you will be alright.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Igrace
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Igrace » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Does anyone know if drink driving falls under serious harm? As I see on myGov the following-

An offence that has caused serious harm means an offence that has caused serious physical and psychological to a victim or victims, or that has contributed to a widespread problem that causes serious harm to the community or to the society in general.

So am I right to think drink driving is included in that? If so has anyone on here applied or know someone that has applied for a spouse visa with a drink driving conviction and been approved?

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 am

You were convicted of DD only, and NOT of causing death or serious injury by DD. So your answer is yes you have a conviction, but NO, you have never been convicted of causing harm etc because you did not. In the UK, DD is obviously and offence, but causing harm etc while drunk is a far more serious offence almost certainly leading to a lengthy jail term.

Igrace
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Igrace » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:11 pm

Okay great, so I should be okay then! Thanks for your reply

Goldfish1990
Newly Registered

Post by Goldfish1990 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:26 pm

I know someone who had a conviction for drunk driving and they had there visa accepted.