ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

VISA type for spouse & impact on British Citizenship

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Locked
MrR
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:34 pm

VISA type for spouse & impact on British Citizenship

Post by MrR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi

I have got my British Citizenship and UK / red passport last year (Aug 2016). I am currently single and will get married soon and my queries are,

1 - what would be my future wife's VISA type I can process to bring her into UK? will it be type of ILR? which will allow her to work freely in UK?

2 - how long she has to be in the VISA category (as per the above answer) before she becomes eligible for British Citizenship?

3 - If I stay away from the country, will it have any impact in my British citizenship? like after PR, if we stay 2 years away from the country then PR would be invalidate. Similarly, after citizenship, is there any rule? Reason for this question is - my future wife is currently working in USA and she would like me to move over there for couple of years; so if I relocate to US for couple of years, will there any be an impact on my citizenship?

Please could you clarify queries? Thanks in advance!

navalaviator
Member of Standing
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: VISA type for spouse & impact on British Citizenship

Post by navalaviator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:21 am

Congratulations on getting a Red passport lolzzzz :lol:

You won't lose your citizenship regardless of how long you stay outside, even if you lived 10 years away you won't lose it.

Your wife needs to apply for a spouse visa and after a period of 5 years she would be eligible for ILR and a year later for citizenship.

You need to have a job which pays you at least £18600 per annum to fulfill the financial requirement for a spouse visa along with number of other requirements.
Which is it of the favors of your lord that ye deny.

MrR
Newly Registered
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: VISA type for spouse & impact on British Citizenship

Post by MrR » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:33 am

navalaviator wrote:Congratulations on getting a Red passport lolzzzz :lol:

You won't lose your citizenship regardless of how long you stay outside, even if you lived 10 years away you won't lose it.

Your wife needs to apply for a spouse visa and after a period of 5 years she would be eligible for ILR and a year later for citizenship.

You need to have a job which pays you at least £18600 per annum to fulfill the financial requirement for a spouse visa along with number of other requirements.
Thank you for response and its glad to know that no impact on my citizenship :lol:

Let me explore the requirements for Spouse VISA then! Couple of things to clarify in relation to your reply if its OK?

a - can she work in the spouse visa for any company in the UK? and there is no restrictions around that?

b - if she has been provided a spouse visa for 3 years if we meet all the requirements and if I take a break from work for a 6 months or so and then having a job (min salary of 18200 / year) at the time of her spouse visa renewal, will it be ok? or should I have a continuous job and earnings for the entire 5 years tenure while she in the spouse visa to make eligible for ILR? [Its bit of long query, does it make sense?!]

Thank you.

ohara
Diamond Member
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:00 pm
Location: hiding in a badger sett

Re: VISA type for spouse & impact on British Citizenship

Post by ohara » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:55 am

MrR wrote:Hi

I have got my British Citizenship and UK / red passport last year (Aug 2016). I am currently single and will get married soon and my queries are,

1 - what would be my future wife's VISA type I can process to bring her into UK? will it be type of ILR? which will allow her to work freely in UK?

2 - how long she has to be in the VISA category (as per the above answer) before she becomes eligible for British Citizenship?

3 - If I stay away from the country, will it have any impact in my British citizenship? like after PR, if we stay 2 years away from the country then PR would be invalidate. Similarly, after citizenship, is there any rule? Reason for this question is - my future wife is currently working in USA and she would like me to move over there for couple of years; so if I relocate to US for couple of years, will there any be an impact on my citizenship?

Please could you clarify queries? Thanks in advance!
What an odd thread :?

1. Spouse settlement visa, not sure what you mean by "will it be type of ILR"

2. It currently takes 5 years to become eligible for ILR on a spouse settlement visa, once ILR has been granted, your wife would immediately be eligible for citizenship assuming all other requirements are met

3. No impact at all.

navalaviator
Member of Standing
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: VISA type for spouse & impact on British Citizenship

Post by navalaviator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 am

ohara wrote: What an odd thread :?
how lol :roll:
Which is it of the favors of your lord that ye deny.

navalaviator
Member of Standing
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: VISA type for spouse & impact on British Citizenship

Post by navalaviator » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:13 am

MrR wrote: Thank you for response and its glad to know that no impact on my citizenship :lol:

Let me explore the requirements for Spouse VISA then! Couple of things to clarify in relation to your reply if its OK?

a - can she work in the spouse visa for any company in the UK? and there is no restrictions around that?
Yes she can work full time without any restrictions.

b - if she has been provided a spouse visa for 3 years if we meet all the requirements and if I take a break from work for a 6 months or so and then having a job (min salary of 18200 / year) at the time of her spouse visa renewal, will it be ok? or should I have a continuous job and earnings for the entire 5 years tenure while she in the spouse visa to make eligible for ILR? [Its bit of long query, does it make sense?!]

I'm not sure on this but I would rather work throughout to avoid any problems at the renewal stage and ILR.

Thank you.
Which is it of the favors of your lord that ye deny.

User avatar
CR001
Moderator
Posts: 75660
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London
Mood:
South Africa

Re: VISA type for spouse & impact on British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:39 am

MrR wrote:b - if she has been provided a spouse visa for 3 years if we meet all the requirements and if I take a break from work for a 6 months or so and then having a job (min salary of 18200 / year) at the time of her spouse visa renewal, will it be ok? or should I have a continuous job and earnings for the entire 5 years tenure while she in the spouse visa to make eligible for ILR? [Its bit of long query, does it make sense?!]

Thank you.
The first entry clearance visa will be granted for 33 months. She then has to apply for another 2.5 year extension and then for ILR. At each stage, you/she MUST meet the financial requirement of £18,600pa. For the first entry clearance visa, it is ONLY your income that can be used. For extension in the UK and ILR joint income or her income can be used.

If she is a US citizen, she doesn't need to meet the English requirement.

Immigration health surcharge is payable at £600 for the first visa and £500 for the extension PLUS the visa fee which is currently £1195 for applications for entry clearance outside the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Locked
cron