ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Actually, a very bad news for Tier 1 general holders

Please use this section of the board for queries about Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). However please use the EEA-route section for queries about the EEA-route equivalent of Permanent Residence (PR).


This section is relevant irrespective of whether current status is Tiered or Non-Tiered.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push

Locked
snowball001
Newly Registered
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am

Post by snowball001 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:03 am

ldbright wrote:What if you are a contractor using an umbrella company with daily rate?

I do get holiday pay every month but as I am paid by day, if I get out of the country for holiday. I won't be paid the daily rate but I still get monthly holiday pay, and it is shown on my payslip even on the month I took holidays. I was with the same client using same unbrella company for 4 years.

My question is, does my leave still count as paid holidays? Please can someone kindly helping answer the question.

Many Thanks!
When ukba mentions about 'paid annual leave', it also attaches a phrase 'if appropriate', the purpose of which was interpreted in a reply in whatdotheyknow that it is appreciated that there are people who don't have such an arrangement, e.g. Self-employed and in such case they should prove absence is related to the business.

In my opinion since there is payment arranged during the leave, then such leave can be treated as equivalent to paid annual leave.

And from the success story above (congrats!), we should relax and not to over-stress something that is not quite in the mind of frontline cw (yet). I agree that it's better not to post more questions about this 'minor' change to ukba.

letmec2006
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 am

Post by letmec2006 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:38 am

So the CW is asking about absences, and she did ask for a explanation. But if there is sufficient evidence that the letter can't be provided they agree to that. So basically it goes with the discretion of the CW. they have flexibility to do whatever, to me this is absurd. Wondered to what extent they can go? Can they refuse application based on not having letter. Don't understand the unfairness of this.

hsmpilr
Junior Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Post by hsmpilr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:46 am

letmec2006 wrote:So the CW is asking about absences, and she did ask for a explanation. But if there is sufficient evidence that the letter can't be provided they agree to that. So basically it goes with the discretion of the CW. they have flexibility to do whatever, to me this is absurd. Wondered to what extent they can go? Can they refuse application based on not having letter. Don't understand the unfairness of this.
I agree. We cannot be at the mercy of a CW. The rules must dictate and we all including the CW must obey. The rules must be clear and unambiguous.

syed_ILR
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 am

Post by syed_ILR » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:18 am

hsmpilr wrote:
letmec2006 wrote:So the CW is asking about absences, and she did ask for a explanation. But if there is sufficient evidence that the letter can't be provided they agree to that. So basically it goes with the discretion of the CW. they have flexibility to do whatever, to me this is absurd. Wondered to what extent they can go? Can they refuse application based on not having letter. Don't understand the unfairness of this.
I agree. We cannot be at the mercy of a CW. The rules must dictate and we all including the CW must obey. The rules must be clear and unambiguous.
You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Over stressing, over analyzing. I don't know why are you so insecure.

The guy has clearly explained you his experience. 170 flipping days of absence (without a job!!!!!!) and still got accepted! Now! if you guys are still not happy then you can never be... to be honest. He did not even have a proper evidence to show and still a personal statement was ok for the CW. I would say chillout! please and stop assuming things which are not there. If the rule was so stringent then the CW would have rejected that 170days case. I mean from my point of view its all about absences moer than 180 days..but yeah just provide a Fing God damn proof..whatever man! just write a letter..

Yash001
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Post by Yash001 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 am

syed_ILR wrote:
hsmpilr wrote:
letmec2006 wrote:So the CW is asking about absences, and she did ask for a explanation. But if there is sufficient evidence that the letter can't be provided they agree to that. So basically it goes with the discretion of the CW. they have flexibility to do whatever, to me this is absurd. Wondered to what extent they can go? Can they refuse application based on not having letter. Don't understand the unfairness of this.
I agree. We cannot be at the mercy of a CW. The rules must dictate and we all including the CW must obey. The rules must be clear and unambiguous.
You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. Over stressing, over analyzing. I don't know why are you so insecure.

The guy has clearly explained you his experience. 170 flipping days of absence (without a job!!!!!!) and still got accepted! Now! if you guys are still not happy then you can never be... to be honest. He did not even have a proper evidence to show and still a personal statement was ok for the CW. I would say chillout! please and stop assuming things which are not there. If the rule was so stringent then the CW would have rejected that 170days case. I mean from my point of view its all about absences moer than 180 days..but yeah just provide a Fing God damn proof..whatever man! just write a letter..
I second your statements...lets not overkill this by over analysis...

coolguy9
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:30 am

Post by coolguy9 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Guys,

I am following this thread closely since the last few days and yesterday I contacted my solicitor about this issue and he replied that there is nothing to worry about this rule if the applicant has followed previous rules ( before 2012 December) for ILR. This new absence rule will be a big issue only if the applicant has exceeded 180 days in any 12 months period. Then they have to provide proof for that.

If the applicant has completed 5 years residence with total holidays under 180 days as was the case initially and has met the necessary points for the ILR, then there is nothing to worry about.

So guys stay cool and carry on as usual :)

syed_ILR
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 am

Post by syed_ILR » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:51 am

coolguy9 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am following this thread closely since the last few days and yesterday I contacted my solicitor about this issue and he replied that there is nothing to worry about this rule if the applicant has followed previous rules ( before 2012 December) for ILR. This new absence rule will be a big issue only if the applicant has exceeded 180 days in any 12 months period. Then they have to provide proof for that.

If the applicant has completed 5 years residence with total holidays under 180 days as was the case initially and has met the necessary points for the ILR, then there is nothing to worry about.

So guys stay cool and carry on as usual :)
cheers @coolguy :) nice one!

apahuja
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:21 am

which form?

Post by apahuja » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 pm

RAW wrote:Hello Everyone... ok it seems I may be the first one to share my PEO appointment experience I had today for my successful SET(O) ILR application at Sheffield..... last two days were one of most distressing days for me .... n specifically this message thread exponentially increased my stress level...... yesterday I even tried to cancel my appointment due to fear of rejection because the burden of providing proof of my first absence....

First of all my timeline

1st EC as HSMP on 20th Aug 2007 for two years
Got LTR extension as Tier1-gen on 20th Aug 2009 for three year
Got further LTR Extension as Tier1-gen on 14th May 2012 till for two years

My 1st entry in UK on this HSMP EC was 11th December 2007 but I left UK after just 4 weeks on 7th January 2008 (reason: family issues) came back after 170 days on 25th June 2008. Got into employment in UK on 15th July 2008 and still with the same employer.

Following are my all absences from UK

7th Jan 2008 to 25th June 2008 (170 Days) -- (Family issues - was not in employment in UK)
19th Dec 2008 to 7th Jan 2009 (19 Days) -- Paid Leave
27th Nov 2008 to 3rd Jan 2010 (37 Days) -- Paid Leave
25th Aug 2010 to 19th Sept 2010 (25 Days)-- Paid Leave
11th Mar 2011 to 9th April 2011 (29 Days) -- Paid Leave till 1st Apr 2011 and from 2nd was off sick and was unable to travel back

When I started filling up my form and gathering all the relevant documents ... I thought my case was very straight forward... but as I said earlier.... more I read this thread more distressed I became since I had no documentary proof for my 1st absence and even for the sick leaves I had during my last absence.....

However, I decided to wrote a personal statement for these two absences explaining reasons and confirmed that I cannot provide any documentary proof for either of these. For other paid leave my HR were only able to confirm last two sets of paid leaves but not the first two due to change of HR system, which they acknowledged in an email. I attached this acknowledgement email with my application.

Overall processing for my application at Sheffield PEO took less than 3hrs which includes getting initial token, submitting application, payment of fee, Biometrics enrolment, caseworker introducing herself and explaining about my application and handing over decision letter after half n hour.

However, since all other aspects of application was very straight forward, caseworker only mentioned about my absences while she 1st introduced herself... and said that she has gone through my personal statement and she has considered it and its fine and not an issue.... and then confirmed that she will take around 45 mins to an hour to complete my case ... if I want I can go out.... but I opted not to and she kindly replied that she will try to finish it earlier then.... and yes she handed over her decision in half n hour.... a great sigh of relief..... :)
Congrats

Which set(o) form did you use- old or new?

ukswus
Senior Member
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Post by ukswus » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:12 pm

coolguy9 wrote:
If the applicant has completed 5 years residence with total holidays under 180 days as was the case initially and has met the necessary points for the ILR, then there is nothing to worry about.
It's cool that your solicitor thinks this way, but there is no mention of this either in the immigration rules, or in ILR guidance. There is definitely no mention of any transitional arrangements that I could notice.

katwmn6
Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:16 pm

Post by katwmn6 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:33 pm

coolguy9 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am following this thread closely since the last few days and yesterday I contacted my solicitor about this issue and he replied that there is nothing to worry about this rule if the applicant has followed previous rules ( before 2012 December) for ILR. This new absence rule will be a big issue only if the applicant has exceeded 180 days in any 12 months period. Then they have to provide proof for that.

If the applicant has completed 5 years residence with total holidays under 180 days as was the case initially and has met the necessary points for the ILR, then there is nothing to worry about.

So guys stay cool and carry on as usual :)
Can I ask why you mention the Dec 2012 rule change, per the above bolded text?

ilrdep
Member
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Post by ilrdep » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Just wanted to update you that one of friend got approval from Solihull today with 60 days(Total) absence all were vaccation , no letters were asked.

Also want to inform that process in Solihull now changed (payment before Caseworker looks the case)

syed_ILR
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 am

Re: which form?

Post by syed_ILR » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:49 pm

RAW wrote:Hello Everyone... ok it seems I may be the first one to share my PEO appointment experience I had today for my successful SET(O) ILR application at Sheffield..... last two days were one of most distressing days for me .... n specifically this message thread exponentially increased my stress level...... yesterday I even tried to cancel my appointment due to fear of rejection because the burden of providing proof of my first absence....

First of all my timeline

1st EC as HSMP on 20th Aug 2007 for two years
Got LTR extension as Tier1-gen on 20th Aug 2009 for three year
Got further LTR Extension as Tier1-gen on 14th May 2012 till for two years

My 1st entry in UK on this HSMP EC was 11th December 2007 but I left UK after just 4 weeks on 7th January 2008 (reason: family issues) came back after 170 days on 25th June 2008. Got into employment in UK on 15th July 2008 and still with the same employer.

Following are my all absences from UK

7th Jan 2008 to 25th June 2008 (170 Days) -- (Family issues - was not in employment in UK)
19th Dec 2008 to 7th Jan 2009 (19 Days) -- Paid Leave
27th Nov 2008 to 3rd Jan 2010 (37 Days) -- Paid Leave
25th Aug 2010 to 19th Sept 2010 (25 Days)-- Paid Leave
11th Mar 2011 to 9th April 2011 (29 Days) -- Paid Leave till 1st Apr 2011 and from 2nd was off sick and was unable to travel back

When I started filling up my form and gathering all the relevant documents ... I thought my case was very straight forward... but as I said earlier.... more I read this thread more distressed I became since I had no documentary proof for my 1st absence and even for the sick leaves I had during my last absence.....

However, I decided to wrote a personal statement for these two absences explaining reasons and confirmed that I cannot provide any documentary proof for either of these. For other paid leave my HR were only able to confirm last two sets of paid leaves but not the first two due to change of HR system, which they acknowledged in an email. I attached this acknowledgement email with my application.

Overall processing for my application at Sheffield PEO took less than 3hrs which includes getting initial token, submitting application, payment of fee, Biometrics enrolment, caseworker introducing herself and explaining about my application and handing over decision letter after half n hour.

However, since all other aspects of application was very straight forward, caseworker only mentioned about my absences while she 1st introduced herself... and said that she has gone through my personal statement and she has considered it and its fine and not an issue.... and then confirmed that she will take around 45 mins to an hour to complete my case ... if I want I can go out.... but I opted not to and she kindly replied that she will try to finish it earlier then.... and yes she handed over her decision in half n hour.... a great sigh of relief..... :)

For the Tier 1 Investor, Tier 1 Entrepreneur, Tier 1 Exceptional Talent and Highly Skilled Migrant (applying under Appendix S of the rules) categories there is no requirement to give a reason for absences if they do not exceed 180 days in any of the five, four, three or two consecutive 12 month periods of the continuous period, counted backwards from the date of application for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).


Am I right in saying that first two years of yours were hsmp and the rule now says that you don't need to provide any evidence. Does Highly skilled migrant means hsmp??

apahuja
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:21 am

Re: which form?

Post by apahuja » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 pm

syed_ILR wrote:
RAW wrote: Does Highly skilled migrant means hsmp??
yes as per ukba response on WhatDoTheyKnow in some previous email. do not exactly where I saw that but they confimred it means HSMP.

syed_ILR
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 am

Re: which form?

Post by syed_ILR » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:58 pm

apahuja wrote:
syed_ILR wrote:
RAW wrote: Does Highly skilled migrant means hsmp??
yes as per ukba response on WhatDoTheyKnow in some previous email. do not exactly where I saw that but they confimred it means HSMP.
does it mean that ...RAW was not asked for the proofs as he was on hsmp at the the of his 170 days absence from UK . loooool..now I am being over analytical :D

autotest
Newly Registered
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Post by autotest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:06 pm

I was away for more than 180 days (200 days), I got a letter from my employer saying as a business trip and my salary was paid in UK for 4 months.

Do they still consider my case? I have appointment on 17th of this month in Solihull

snowball001
Newly Registered
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am

Re: which form?

Post by snowball001 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:26 pm

syed_ILR wrote:
apahuja wrote:
syed_ILR wrote:
RAW wrote: Does Highly skilled migrant means hsmp??
yes as per ukba response on WhatDoTheyKnow in some previous email. do not exactly where I saw that but they confimred it means HSMP.
does it mean that ...RAW was not asked for the proofs as he was on hsmp at the the of his 170 days absence from UK . loooool..now I am being over analytical :D
Not sure where I got this and need validation: if the applicant is on hsmp+tier 1 route then he needs to meet the requirements for tier 1.

nadnet
Newly Registered
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: which form?

Post by nadnet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 pm

apahuja wrote:
syed_ILR wrote:
RAW wrote: Does Highly skilled migrant means hsmp??
yes as per ukba response on WhatDoTheyKnow in some previous email. do not exactly where I saw that but they confimred it means HSMP.

In Immigration Rules (Introduction):"Under Part 6A of these Rules, Highly Skilled Migrant" means a migrant granted leave under paragraphs 135A to 135G of the Rules in force before 30th June 2008."

pkumar
Member of Standing
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:56 pm

Re: which form?

Post by pkumar » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:17 pm

nadnet wrote:
apahuja wrote:
syed_ILR wrote:
RAW wrote: Does Highly skilled migrant means hsmp??
yes as per ukba response on WhatDoTheyKnow in some previous email. do not exactly where I saw that but they confimred it means HSMP.

In Immigration Rules (Introduction):"Under Part 6A of these Rules, Highly Skilled Migrant" means a migrant granted leave under paragraphs 135A to 135G of the Rules in force before 30th June 2008."
That is not true ... read this: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-378134

Related to post here : http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... &start=280

Sep08T1Applicant
Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:05 am
Location: London
Mood:

Re: which form?

Post by Sep08T1Applicant » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:59 pm

syed_ILR wrote:
apahuja wrote:
syed_ILR wrote:
RAW wrote: Does Highly skilled migrant means hsmp??
yes as per ukba response on WhatDoTheyKnow in some previous email. do not exactly where I saw that but they confimred it means HSMP.
does it mean that ...RAW was not asked for the proofs as he was on hsmp at the the of his 170 days absence from UK . loooool..now I am being over analytical :D
Yes exactly, I wanted to see that, I said earlier we have to wait and watch, it is quite worried and need consideration. I think people who should worry more are like me or anyone who are in their 5 years stayed in Tier 1 (general). I think people who came in with HSMP and extended their visa using Tier 1 General are fine and they don't have to worry much. HSMP
since JR has a very strong consideration and it is quite impossible people on HSMP suffer as they did before JR. Now, I think simply people who were and are purely completing their 5 years period on TIER 1 General might suffer. I think simply wait and see until new forms are fully in placed with the person who has completed 5 years using TIER general, good luck guys and stay focused. Just to add people with hsmp really don't have to very much apart from 180 days in a year :)
Last edited by Sep08T1Applicant on Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsmpilr
Junior Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:31 pm

unpaid

Post by hsmpilr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:00 pm

What about unpaid leaves ? Are they all in trouble ?

Locked
cron