ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused by new SET (O) 04/216 form

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dhoms
Newly Registered

Confused by new SET (O) 04/216 form

Post by dhoms » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:28 pm

Section 4.3 of the most recent SET (O) form published on 6 April 2016 (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-16.pdf) seems to be confusing for an applicant demonstrating the English Language requirement using a UK-based academic degree. The form calls for the following evidence:

An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and:

UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or

the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada)

I am aware of the (FAQs - English Language requirements for settlement) post in the ILR section of this forum which clearly states: "If you hold a UK qualification that you wish to use as evidence of English language proficiency: Submit your original (bachelor, master or PhD) degree certificate. No other document required". However, the above underlined phrase does not seem to exempt UK-based degrees and thus implicitly suggests that all degrees should be assessed by NARIC. Is this correct?

If my understanding is incorrect, on what basis should an applicant tick the box corresponding to the above underlined phrase given that NARIC does not assess UK-based degrees?

Many thanks for your help and thoughts.

N.B. I have already proven the English Language requirement in two previous Tier 1 (General) applications using a UK-based degree recognised by the no-longer available PBS calculator. How can I make use of this fact to support my ILR application?

geriatrix

Re: Confused by new SET (O) 04/216 form

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:02 pm

If you select "UK" as country of study in the online application on the NARIC V&NS portal, you'll receive the following message:
You have entered a UK qualification, you do not need the visa service for UK qualifications
Every bachelor / master / doctorate degree obtained in the UK is "implicitly" deemed to meet the NARIC standard. Hence the message above.

How do you create a "statement of comparability" of a UK bachelor degree against a UK bachelor degree standard. It is deemed to be the same standard ... that is why one is awarded a "UK bachelor" degree, isn't it?

IMHO.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:12 pm

Thank you for your reply, geriatrix. I totally concur with your views. What is confusing and worrying me is that it has not been explicitly stated that "Every bachelor / master / doctorate degree obtained in the UK is "implicitly" deemed to meet the NARIC standard". Perhaps it is too obvious but I have learnt not to take things for granted with visa applications.

What is even more confusing is the following (please see https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english):

You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.

You’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English

an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

So it seems that at least an original and official certificate from a UK-based university is needed? Any thoughts?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:24 pm

Wait till UKVI updates all the guidances and webpages that tell you even today how things were done before and bring the content in line with what they themselves state is required today (since 06-Apr-2016, that is).

Or

Wait until NARIC decides to allow UK qualifications to be added to the application process.

Or

Use common sense, in absence of above two.

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:10 am

Thank you once more, geriatrix

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:55 am

Noticed this text on the points-based calculator webpage:
If you are submitting an immigration application after midnight on 5 April 2016 and wish to use an overseas qualification to support your application, you will need to obtain a statement from UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (UK NARIC).

Makes sense?

dhoms
Newly Registered

Post by dhoms » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:21 pm

I think so - thanks

tenuissent
Newly Registered

Post by tenuissent » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:29 am

Now that we are in March 2017, has there been any further clarification about whether or not ALL degrees obtained in UK are accepted as proving an acceptable standard of English for ILR application?

I ask because my daughter-in-law's 2003 BA (Hons) Applied Textiles Studies, obtained at Chiltern University (Amersham UK) worries me on two accounts. 1) The university appears to no longer exist, and 2) I think I have read somewhere that vocational degrees do not count.

Thank you for any advice.