ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cover letter for ilr

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Toluba
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Cover letter for ilr

Post by Toluba » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:47 pm

Hello everyone, please I need to know maybe I need to explain more about my criminal convictions in my cover letter although I already declare it in the application form or there is no need to explain in the cover letter since have declare it in the application form. Thanks for your help.

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Cover letter for ilr

Post by bizman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:23 pm

It’s advisable to write a cover letter with your application to make it simple for CW to understand. Please do.
Bizman

Toluba
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Toluba » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks Bizman for your reply. Please I need to be sure of this, let say for example, I finish a prison sentence in October 2010, and applying this August 2019. The 7 years threshold is already done. Do I need to explain all this in my cover letter or there is no need to.

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by bizman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:37 pm

It is always advised that even if you have spent the sentence, you still need to declare it so to avoid assumptions of deception. Even if you don’t declare it HO will know upon search of your records, why not just declare it and explain in simple terms that you have spent the term. Sometime this convinces them of your character.
Bizman

Loray
Newly Registered
Algeria

Post by Loray » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:26 am

Toluba wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 pm
Thanks Bizman for your reply. Please I need to be sure of this, let say for example, I finish a prison sentence in October 2010, and applying this August 2019. The 7 years threshold is already done. Do I need to explain all this in my cover letter or there is no need to.
What was the criminal conviction for?

bizman
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by bizman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:02 pm

By law your details will be in the system for years after serving your sentence, therefore HO will get access to it. However, it might not cause any damage in relation to your application ordinarily but could raise suspicion if the CW feel you deliberately keep quiet about it. You may choose to keep quiet about it, I don’t think there should be any problem but if I were you I will declare it in a cover letter to show I’m not intending to hide anything.
Bizman