ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

“Do you own or rent your home”

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

LN2022
Newly Registered

5 year “Qualifying period” for ILR

Post by LN2022 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:56 pm

Good Afternoon,

My husband is coming up to 5 years on his spouse visa and I have seen contradicting info on both here and other sites. Government guidance is that can apply for ILR 28 days before the end of the 5 year “qualifying period”. Does the 5 year qualifying period commence on date of visa issue, or date of first entry into the UK?

Visa issues 2nd OCT 2017
First entry under the visa 18th Oct 2017

So is the earliest application for ILR 28days before the 2nd OCT 2022 or 28days before the 18th OCT 2022.

Thank you

Casa

Re: 5 year “Qualifying period” for ILR

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:19 pm

From date of entry into the UK on their initial spouse visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

LN2022
Newly Registered

“Do you own or rent your home”

Post by LN2022 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:12 pm

Good Evening,

We are currently completing my ILR(M) application.

There is the question, Do you own or rent your home?

My Husband owns the house, and I obviously live with him. We are currently just remortgaging into joint names but as of now it is in his name.

Do I select “I Own”, and write in cover letter to explain my husband owns etc or do i select neither own nor rent? I have seen varying views online some saying “I own” is as a couple, and some say to put “neither own or rent”

Many Thanks

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: “Do you own or rent your home”

Post by Ticktack » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:34 pm

LN2022 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:12 pm
Good Evening,

We are currently completing my ILR(M) application.

There is the question, Do you own or rent your home?

My Husband owns the house, and I obviously live with him. We are currently just remortgaging into joint names but as of now it is in his name.

Do I select “I Own”, and write in cover letter to explain my husband owns etc or do i select neither own nor rent? I have seen varying views online some saying “I own” is as a couple, and some say to put “neither own or rent”

Many Thanks
You own the property is fine.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

LN2022
Newly Registered

Re: “Do you own or rent your home”

Post by LN2022 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:53 am

Thanks @TickTack

Also, thanks @Casa, sorry for the delay