ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employer is asking to sign min 1 year contract

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

priasda85
Newly Registered
India

Employer is asking to sign min 1 year contract

Post by priasda85 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 am

Hi,
Looking for general advise if others have faced similar situation. I'm about to submit my ILR application
and have requested my employer to provide a letter of reference.
However they have asked me to sign a min 1 year contract stating I can't leave this job within next 1 year.

While I don't have any immediate plans to switch jobs I find this is not fair, I might get better job opportunities next year or what if in case of emergencies I have to travel back home. I understand why they are asking me to sign the letter but the fact I've been working for them 5+ years and there is no specific break clause makes me worried.
Is it legal in UK whereby they can stop me taking other job opportunity even if I give them fair notice (e.g. 1 month) or ready to pay compensation charges (not sure if there is any fair limit though)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Employer is asking to sign min 1 year contract

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:35 am

This is not an immigration issue but is specifically related to your current sponsor and yourself. They have obviously invested in you by sponsoring you and have probably had experience in the past where someone resigns as soon as they get ILR.

I suggest you speak to your sponsor or an employment advisor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Employer is asking to sign min 1 year contract

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:54 am

Hello

I am going to refrain from sharing what I think of your employer.

However, you are in a weak situation. If they fire you tomorrow, that can have a very bad impact one your life and immigration options.

You have no choice. Smile and sign without any comment.

In 12 months exactly, drop a resignation letter and find a better people to work with.