ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering the UK with my ILE visa in my expired passport

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

A3aa
Newly Registered

Entering the UK with my ILE visa in my expired passport

Post by A3aa » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:28 pm

Can I have a direct answer to this please? Can I re-enter the Uk with my new passport as well as my expired one which has my ILE the Uk visa in it even though I was unable to transfer the conditions into my new passport before leaving the UK to visit my home country? I read that the visa is valid as long as you don't stay outside the uk for over 2years. For the ECO to issue the visa, they put a validity date with matches the expiry date of my passport and this is making a bit unsettled and worried about re-entry.
Thanks

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Re: Entering the UK with my ILE visa in my expired passport

Post by FaeLLe » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Visa in previous passport is ok.

A3aa
Newly Registered

Post by A3aa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:08 am

Thank you very much for your reply.

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Post by FaeLLe » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 am

Can you check the validity date on the ILE sticker, if you got a new passport because your old one expired the ILE viginette would have expired too - hence making it not valid!

You can only use the visa in old passport as long as it is still valid.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... d-validity

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:01 pm

If entering under 18A, then you don't need a visa. However, the airline may not let you board the plane if they don't know the rules!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Stellacat
Hong Kong

Post by Stellacat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:10 pm

I used my old passport with ILE and the current passport many time. Enter UK is not a problem, but departure from my home country airport always been ask a lot question by airline staff. I did carry the print out from the home office website, high lighted the rule that ILE same as ILR. It won’t expired if I am not absent UK more than 2 years. Usually the staff will ask their senior staff to confirm.

A3aa
Newly Registered

Post by A3aa » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:56 pm

This is life saving information, please can you send me the link where I can also print out and highligh the necessary information for my airline and anyone who questions me or needs more explanation please?

Stellacat
Hong Kong

Post by Stellacat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:28 pm

A3aa wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:56 pm
This is life saving information, please can you send me the link where I can also print out and highligh the necessary information for my airline and anyone who questions me or needs more explanation please?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... d-validity

Stellacat
Hong Kong

Post by Stellacat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:09 am

A3aa wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:28 pm
Can I have a direct answer to this please? Can I re-enter the Uk with my new passport as well as my expired one which has my ILE the Uk visa in it even though I was unable to transfer the conditions into my new passport before leaving the UK to visit my home country? I read that the visa is valid as long as you don't stay outside the uk for over 2years. For the ECO to issue the visa, they put a validity date with matches the expiry date of my passport and this is making a bit unsettled and worried about re-entry.
Thanks
A3aa, do you have any letter from HO when you received your ILE?
I have my ILE 10 years ago in USA, in my menory, I only have my passport with ILE sent back to me, but without any confirmation letter. When I need to apply NTL it will ask me the proof of how I got the ILE, I think if I have the HO confirmation letter should be the evidence of it.

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Post by FaeLLe » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Stellacat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:09 am
A3aa wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:28 pm
Thanks
A3aa, do you have any letter from HO when you received your ILE?
I have my ILE 10 years ago in USA, in my menory, I only have my passport with ILE sent back to me, but without any confirmation letter. When I need to apply NTL it will ask me the proof of how I got the ILE, I think if I have the HO confirmation letter should be the evidence of it.
If you lost the letter raise a Subject Access Request under GDPR and they will send you a copy of your home office file which will have the decision.

But proof of ILE should be the ILE itself in your passport.

A3aa
Newly Registered

Post by A3aa » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:48 am

No I don't have a confirmation letter however how quick can I get a reply to the HO from a different country, my flight is in 1 week. Thanks

A3aa
Newly Registered

Post by A3aa » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:46 am

Stellacat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:10 pm
I used my old passport with ILE and the current passport many time. Enter UK is not a problem, but departure from my home country airport always been ask a lot question by airline staff. I did carry the print out from the home office website, high lighted the rule that ILE same as ILR. It won’t expired if I am not absent UK more than 2 years. Usually the staff will ask their senior staff to confirm.

Does ur ILE have a validity date on it please?

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Post by FaeLLe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:18 am

A3aa wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:48 am
No I don't have a confirmation letter however how quick can I get a reply to the HO from a different country, my flight is in 1 week. Thanks
I don't even see how the airline will let you board with an expired visa viginette.

Stellacat
Hong Kong

Post by Stellacat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:54 pm

A3aa wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:46 am
Stellacat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Does ur ILE have a validity date on it please?
Yes, the ILE has expire date same as the passport.

Stellacat
Hong Kong

Post by Stellacat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:00 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:18 am
A3aa wrote:
I don't even see how the airline will let you board with an expired visa viginette.
I printed out the document from home office website stated that ILE same as ILR, it won’t expired and explain to the check in staff. Most of the time the senior airline staff will know the rule.

Stellacat
Hong Kong

Post by Stellacat » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:13 pm

A3aa wrote:
I just printed out the link below , highlighted No. 4 &6 that related ILE. Not asking Home office( don’t think they will respond anyway)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... d-validity.

If your passport have UK enter stamp before but within
2 years then show to them. They will want to make sure you are not away UK more than 2 years.

FaeLLe
Member of Standing

Post by FaeLLe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Good luck with your travels and please doccome back and let us know how it went for others benefit.