ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Qualification Date

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sfjeelani

ILR Qualification Date

Post by sfjeelani » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi,

I am going to apply for my ILR next month on 09 Mar, 2010.

Just wanted to have opinion of experts here if this date is the qualifying date?

I am on Work Permit at the moment.

Leave to Remain granted: 06 Apr, 2005
Visa Expires: 06 Apr, 2010

Have I booked the right date for appointment i.e. 09 Mar, 2010. This is the 28th Day, I think, before qualifying period (5-year)

Many thanks in advanced

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:55 pm

28th day is March 10th as the day when your visa expires is included in the sequence. It is better to rebook on a later day.

sfjeelani

HO Confirms its 9th

Post by sfjeelani » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:30 pm

wunder wrote:28th day is March 10th as the day when your visa expires is included in the sequence. It is better to rebook on a later day.
Many thanks for your vaulable input

My understanding for this matter is "one should submit the application "28 days before qualifying period ends (5-year)" 6th April is the first day of 6th year. Should we really count it?

Furthermore, I have been speaking to HO for last month or so to book an appointment and every time they have said that its 9th Mar. So therefore, I have booked it.

Could you please shed further light on this matter?

Many Thanks

wunder
Member of Standing

Re: HO Confirms its 9th

Post by wunder » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:40 pm

I believe there is no strict rule on how to calculate 28 days - so it depends on a case-worker. For example in my case when I called UKBA I was told that I booked one day too early - yet I calculated the date exactly the same way as you did.

Myself, I decided not to risk it and postponed for several days.

sfjeelani

Re: HO Confirms its 9th

Post by sfjeelani » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:01 pm

wunder wrote:I believe there is no strict rule on how to calculate 28 days - so it depends on a case-worker. For example in my case when I called UKBA I was told that I booked one day too early - yet I calculated the date exactly the same way as you did.

Thanks Again,

In my case I have been calling HO since Dec to check how the appointment system works. I must have spoken to 20 different representatives, every single one of them said to me after listenning my dates that I should phone to book 9th Mar as my first day.

After seeing your posts I called HO again. The lady there confirmed 9th as my first eligibility day again. I never doubt it unless I saw your post. Since every single one of them said its 9th.

Dont know now what to do? Can we use their names as evidence though. just in case?

Many Thanks

sylang
Newly Registered

when did you enter the UK?

Post by sylang » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:17 pm

sfjeelani, did you enter the UK after 6 Apr? I was told in other posts that I should calculate the 28-day period from the day I entered the country. Confused...

sfjeelani

Re: when did you enter the UK?

Post by sfjeelani » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:26 pm

sylang wrote:sfjeelani, did you enter the UK after 6 Apr? I was told in other posts that I should calculate the 28-day period from the day I entered the country. Confused...
I was already in the UK and it was leave to remain. So my start date starts from 6th April, 2005.

Its true, in case if you have entered. qualifying period is related to how long have you been living in UK not when your visa was granted.

Useful tool to avoid ambiguity:
http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Put your arrival and end date of visa, you will know when you qualify.

sylang
Newly Registered

Post by sylang » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:22 am

thank you, now I understand why

ben78
Newly Registered

work permit plus hsmp

Post by ben78 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 am

Hi guys,

I had started off with a work permit from July 2005 and issued the first 1 year HSMP in Feb 2006, which has been extended to Feb 2011 the next year, which is my current valid visa. I have been fortunately in continuous employment all the while. So am I right in assuming that the work permit would be counted as well, when considering my eligibility for ILR, meaning I could have applied for ILR in July 09. (HSMP jr). OR does the JR include only the period I was on HSMP??

If I was eligible from July 09, will they consider that too in my application, and predate my ILR when they stamp, IF THEY ISSUE ME AN ILR??!!!! I did not apply in July 09, since I was not sure whether I was eligible or not and had always thought that I would have to wait till Feb 2010 before applying for ILR. Is there anything I could possibly do now to get them to include my workpermit as well and predate the ILR, if at all I am eligible.

many thanks in advance
Ben

sfjeelani

Re: work permit plus hsmp

Post by sfjeelani » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:38 pm

ben78 wrote:Hi guys,

I had started off with a work permit from July 2005 and issued the first 1 year HSMP in Feb 2006, which has been extended to Feb 2011 the next year, which is my current valid visa. I have been fortunately in continuous employment all the while. So am I right in assuming that the work permit would be counted as well, when considering my eligibility for ILR, meaning I could have applied for ILR in July 09. (HSMP jr). OR does the JR include only the period I was on HSMP??

If I was eligible from July 09, will they consider that too in my application, and predate my ILR when they stamp, IF THEY ISSUE ME AN ILR??!!!! I did not apply in July 09, since I was not sure whether I was eligible or not and had always thought that I would have to wait till Feb 2010 before applying for ILR. Is there anything I could possibly do now to get them to include my workpermit as well and predate the ILR, if at all I am eligible.

many thanks in advance
Ben
My understanding to this is, they assess things when and what is requested. Recently, I came across guidance notes for case worker that if somebody requests temp. leave even if he/she qualifies for ILR. They give him temp. leave. So based on this if you request ILR now, they would stamp from now on. I am not sure if they can pre-date the visa. Again its my opinion. You should seek professional advice on this forum or somewhere else.

ben78
Newly Registered

Post by ben78 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:57 pm

thankyou for the comment. Do you know whether the time spent in work permit would be included in the ILR application under HSMP jr?

Ben

wunder
Member of Standing

Re: work permit plus hsmp

Post by wunder » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:02 pm

ben78 wrote:I had started off with a work permit from July 2005 and issued the first 1 year HSMP in Feb 2006, which has been extended to Feb 2011 the next year, which is my current valid visa. I have been fortunately in continuous employment all the while. So am I right in assuming that the work permit would be counted as well, when considering my eligibility for ILR, meaning I could have applied for ILR in July 09. (HSMP jr). OR does the JR include only the period I was on HSMP??
You are covered by HSMP JR (have a look here).
ben78 wrote:If I was eligible from July 09, will they consider that too in my application, and predate my ILR when they stamp, IF THEY ISSUE ME AN ILR??!!!! I did not apply in July 09, since I was not sure whether I was eligible or not and had always thought that I would have to wait till Feb 2010 before applying for ILR. Is there anything I could possibly do now to get them to include my workpermit as well and predate the ILR, if at all I am eligible.
Your ILR will be backdated to the July 2009. I don't think you need to do anything special to get that.

sfjeelani

Appointment

Post by sfjeelani » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:38 pm

wunder wrote:I believe there is no strict rule on how to calculate 28 days - so it depends on a case-worker. For example in my case when I called UKBA I was told that I booked one day too early - yet I calculated the date exactly the same way as you did.

hello wunder,

Did you book your appointment online or over the phone?

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Online.

vito0514

Re: ILR Qualification Date

Post by vito0514 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:48 am

sfjeelani wrote:I am going to apply for my ILR next month on 09 Mar, 2010.

Just wanted to have opinion of experts here if this date is the qualifying date?

I am on Work Permit at the moment.

Leave to Remain granted: 06 Apr, 2005
Visa Expires: 06 Apr, 2010

Have I booked the right date for appointment i.e. 09 Mar, 2010. This is the 28th Day, I think, before qualifying period (5-year)
sfjeelani wrote:
wunder wrote:28th day is March 10th as the day when your visa expires is included in the sequence. It is better to rebook on a later day.
My understanding for this matter is "one should submit the application "28 days before qualifying period ends (5-year)" 6th April is the first day of 6th year. Should we really count it?

Furthermore, I have been speaking to HO for last month or so to book an appointment and every time they have said that its 9th Mar. So therefore, I have booked it.

Could you please shed further light on this matter?
sfjeelani wrote:

In my case I have been calling HO since Dec to check how the appointment system works. I must have spoken to 20 different representatives, every single one of them said to me after listenning my dates that I should phone to book 9th Mar as my first day.

After seeing your posts I called HO again. The lady there confirmed 9th as my first eligibility day again. I never doubt it unless I saw your post. Since every single one of them said its 9th.

Dont know now what to do? Can we use their names as evidence though. just in case?
UKBA answer to the Freedom of Information (FOI) request N 68215 (http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/h ... ming-68215):
"The guidance advises applicants not apply any earlier than 28 days from the date they are due to complete the required period for settlement (five years for work permit holders). As such providing the date you submit your application is not more than 28 days before this date it will not negatively affect your application. If you submit an application for settlement more than 28 days before you are due to complete the required period, your application is likely to be refused on the basis of not having completed the period required."

sfjeelani

Post by sfjeelani » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks Vito for your input,

It created a lot of anxiety although It seemed quite simple. It clarifies things. Today morning I confirmed with HO again and they said Its 9th March. Similar example was in your link confirmed by UKBA.

One more question though, Can you question UKBA through Freedom of Information Act? How long do they take to answer a question?

Thanks

vito0514

Post by vito0514 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:57 pm

sfjeelani wrote:Thanks Vito for your input,

It created a lot of anxiety although It seemed quite simple. It clarifies things. Today morning I confirmed with HO again and they said Its 9th March. Similar example was in your link confirmed by UKBA.

One more question though, Can you question UKBA through Freedom of Information Act? How long do they take to answer a question?
yes, you can you question UKBA through Freedom of Information Act: plz, see http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/ukba
They must respond promptly and normally no later than 20 working days (however, in reality they do not always keep that time-frame and delay response)