ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lodger contract and council tax

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Mrmzza
Newly Registered
Morocco

Lodger contract and council tax

Post by Mrmzza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Hello
I will soon apply for an ILR, I am currently under a tier2 visa, and I am worried about my housing situation. I have a tenancy agreement with my landlord, but none of the bills are under my name. The house is registered for council tax and bills under his name. And I pay the bills directly to him. I am sure he does pay them and there is no problem with that. However my name does not appear on bills, besides internet bills and my bank statements. Would that hurt my application for ILR or any visa extensions I would ask for? Meaning home office will find my name appearing for income taxes but not with council tax services. I ve been in this situation since 9 months now, but I did not mind then because I have been told council tax is a property tax and not a person tax. My landlord would like to change our tenancy agreement to a lodger contract from now on. Again, would that hurt anyhow my applications for ILR?

Thanks for your help, I am very stressed about this..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Lodger contract and council tax

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:13 pm

You are overthinking. It is not an issue. There is no law that you MUST be on bills and council tax bill.

There is no requirement to submit address proof for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Mrmzza
Newly Registered
Morocco

Post by Mrmzza » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:34 pm

I thought I might be over thinking, but it's true I have no clue how these things work. I am really worried they ll think I was not in the country or I was scamming council tax as I won't appear in the council tax records.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 pm

If you are living with landlord then you will need lodger agreement because Assured tenancy cannot exist where landlord is also living under same roof.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.